Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Other Poker > Omaha High

Old 12-12-2005, 01:14 PM

Default A weak hand I played UTG hits good. (stars .5/1)

About 3 orbits ago I noticed that the BB seems to want to give his money away. He is continually buying in for 40 bucks a pop and then playing horribly. He sees pretty much every hand pre-flop and gets to showdown all the time. At this point my notes say "Omaha Buddy, totally loose passive calling station. No bluffing. Value bet light". He previously called me down 2 streets with bottom 2 on a monotone flop when I had the nut flush. He also previously called a pot-bet all in with nothing but a nut flush against my top two. I have seen him call all the way down with just an overpair. He may think he is playing hold'em.

MP, with the biggish stack is a decent player. Decently aggro pre-flop and plays a pretty nice selection of hands. Shows some aggression post flop, but seems to be a tiny bit too passive at times.

So pre-flop is very marginal playing this crap UTG, but I was trying to see as many flops as possible against this guy. My plan was to limp and then either fold or call a raise depending on who raised in and my relative position on them. Is this still to marginal here? If I can Isolate BB at some point I would be glad getting him all in with bottom set on tons of boards.

Many decision points in this hand I may have messed up. Only street I like for sure is the turn. On the flop having some blockers I decided to just call and see if anyone tries to get aggressive to pick up the pot at which point I might elect to bomb it.

I assume that MP is also aware of BB's horrible play. So on the turn he must assume that I have at least a little something to show down with since I would have to assume BB will call.

What do you like on the river here?

PokerStars Pot-Limit Omaha High, $1.00 BB (9 handed) converter

SB ($54.50)
BB ($35)
Hero ($178.50)
UTG+1 ($90.50)
MP1 ($167.75)
MP2 ($102.40)
MP3 ($80.95)
CO ($84.40)
Button ($20.30)

Preflop: Hero is UTG with 6[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], 4[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], 4[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], 6[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img].
Hero calls $1, UTG+1 calls $1, MP1 calls $1, MP2 calls $1, MP3 calls $1, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, Button calls $1, SB completes, BB checks.

Flop: ($8) 6[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], 2[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], 5[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(8 players)</font>
SB checks, <font color="#CC3333">BB bets $3</font>, Hero calls $3, UTG+1 folds, MP1 calls $3, MP2 folds, MP3 folds, Button calls $3, SB folds.

Turn: ($20) J[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(4 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">BB bets $10</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises to $31</font>, MP1 calls $31, Button folds, BB calls $21 (All-In).

River: ($113) J[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(3 players, 1 all-in)</font>
Old 12-12-2005, 05:15 PM

Default Re: A weak hand I played UTG hits good. (stars .5/1)

I don't mind playing that hand UTG when I am not likely to get raised and reraised preflop.

Your loose passive BB bets, don't you think he has a straight? Why would you raise the turn?

Check the river. MP3 was probably drawing to a flush/straight combo, or he has the upper full. He is not paying you off if he whiffed, so betting doesn't help. He is not going to bluff you off the dry sidepot if you check to him. Every now and then he'll show up with 22 or 55 and make a big bet, but most often he will be scared by the board too in which case if he bets his 22 or 55 it will probably be a thin value bet that you can call. Fold to a pot sized bet.
Old 12-13-2005, 12:44 PM

Default Re: A weak hand I played UTG hits good. (stars .5/1)

Hey Tilt,

When LP bets I think it is possible that he has the straight yes, but he certainly can have more. He is mainly a calling station with really weak draws and weak made hands and definetly goes to showdown way too much. However, he does bet out with hands as well. Poker tracker PFA is 1.3 to get an idea. But I mainly have him pegged as a calling station cause he cause of the standards of what he will call down with.

On this flop I would give him a range of set, two-pair, straight, slight chance of overpair with the weak bet on a rainbow flop. I liked my chances having the 2 fours in my hand.

River I don't see two many hands with a J (and 2,5, or 6) that peel one off on the flop. MP would need some sort of straight draw with itm so something like J678 might be possible but I am not sure how likely. Or JJ78 maybe.

He definetly won't be bluffing a dry side pot without at least something. I thought at the time he either has wiffed or has could be full, but if so it's more likely 22/55 then JJ, or Jx. So nothing to do about a wiffed draw since he won't call and won't bluff a dry side pot with no showdown value.

If I check this river do you think that all full's throw out a bet here? Or only some?

If I continue to show strength here with a bet do you think 22/55 ever call?