Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Micro-Limits
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-06-2005, 02:53 AM

Default A8s....standard?

I don't even know whether this is interesting. I just noted it at the time.

I've been isolating MP2 (51/5/1) quite a bit because he's a fish and he may be getting annoyed.
CO (52/11/.7) is a calling station from what I can tell over 4 orbits and will call down to the river with anything that has a chance at making a descent hand but will fold the river if he doesn't make the winning hand. He knows how to throw away a hopeless case. His stats may seem out of whack but he's had it folded to him a few times.
BB (60/4/.5)however cannot throw away a hopeless case and is just as likely to have the nuts without raising as he is to have 32 on a double paired board.
I gave him credit for a descent hand preflop.

Party Poker 1/2 Hold'em (10 handed) FTR converter on zerodivide.cx

Preflop: Hero is MP3 with A[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], 8[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img].
<font color="#666666">4 folds</font>, MP2 calls, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises</font>, CO calls, <font color="#666666">2 folds</font>, <font color="#CC3333">BB 3-bets</font>, <font color="#CC3333">MP2 caps</font>, Hero calls, CO calls, BB calls.

Flop: (16.50 SB) 4[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], 8[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], 7[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(4 players)</font>
BB checks, <font color="#CC3333">MP2 bets</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises</font>, CO calls, BB calls, <font color="#CC3333">MP2 3-bets</font>, Hero calls, CO calls, BB calls.

Turn: (14.25 BB) A[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(4 players)</font>
BB checks, <font color="#CC3333">MP2 bets</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises</font>, CO calls, BB calls, <font color="#CC3333">MP2 3-bets</font>, Hero calls, CO calls, BB calls.

River: (26.25 BB) K[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(4 players)</font>
BB checks, <font color="#CC3333">MP2 bets</font>, Hero calls, CO calls, BB folds.

Final Pot: 29.25 BB
Old 12-06-2005, 02:55 AM

Default Re: A8s....standard?

The one thing you could have considered doing was calling the flop to raise the turn. A raise on this flop is not going to fold any hands you want to fold, and you open yourself up to being 3-bet.

After the flop I can't see any other way to play it and that river card sucks.
Old 12-06-2005, 03:13 AM

I think you should cap the turn.
Old 12-06-2005, 03:33 AM

[ QUOTE ]
The one thing you could have considered doing was calling the flop to raise the turn. A raise on this flop is not going to fold any hands you want to fold, and you open yourself up to being 3-bet.

After the flop I can't see any other way to play it and that river card sucks.

[/ QUOTE ]

We really want to give random hands a cheap one? I'd like to get as much value as we can, our equity has a small edge but not a huge one, and that can disipate on the turn. Not really many cards we like apart from the A and maybe a deuce.
Old 12-06-2005, 03:41 AM

[ QUOTE ]
We really want to give random hands a cheap one?

[/ QUOTE ]
What hands are these jokers folding to a raise? They're getting 19-1 when you raise. Maybe they fold QJo?
Old 12-06-2005, 03:58 AM

Doesnt matter, only matters if our equity is greater. We love for them to call either way, but prefer them to pay as much as possible.
Old 12-06-2005, 04:47 AM

Location: duffman is thrusting in the direction of the problem (mets are 9-13, currently on a 1 game winning streak)

fold to the cap preflop. MP2 is passive and he is probably not [censored] around here. you are probably looking at AA or KK.

on the turn you should cap it. you are getting 3-1 on your money if they all call. the only logical hand that beats you is AA and two of the As are accounted for. you are looking at other As and/or a tilting idiot most of the time
Old 12-06-2005, 04:48 AM

Location: duffman is thrusting in the direction of the problem (mets are 9-13, currently on a 1 game winning streak)

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
We really want to give random hands a cheap one?

[/ QUOTE ]
What hands are these jokers folding to a raise? They're getting 19-1 when you raise. Maybe they fold QJo?

[/ QUOTE ]

pretty much. i think you gotta give those random overcard hands a chance to fold. for two bets they might give up.
Old 12-06-2005, 04:51 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Doesnt matter, only matters if our equity is greater. We love for them to call either way, but prefer them to pay as much as possible.

[/ QUOTE ]

it definitely does matter. the thing no one ever talks about in these situations is "what are our opponents' implied odds." in a pot this big, it sure will be tough to fold a flopped TPTK on the turn if QJ spikes a pair. the odds we offer them are the pot odds PLUS the bets they will take from us.

i know you are agreeing with me about shutting them out, but it definitely does matter
Old 12-06-2005, 10:43 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I think you should cap the turn.

[/ QUOTE ]