Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Other Poker > Stud
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-25-2005, 01:21 PM

Default Playing back at high card raiser at final table

Stud high tournament I am in 5th place of 8 with T5200. Villain has me covered. 300/600/100. Upcards are 288K6J53. King up completes, I reraise with split jacks. He calls. 4th street he has K4, I have J5. He checks, I bet, he calls. 5th street, he makes an open pair of 4s and bets, but I am pot committed. 6th street I make an open pair of 9s for two pair. All the money goes in.

Villain had concealed aces and wins with aces up.

Was I right in playing back? I figured villain probably didn't have kings and if he did I had some chance. He might have a lower pair, a draw, high cards or nothing. I probably played it OK, but am upset about busting out.

I think villain played it too slow. I didn't have that many chips, so I don't see the why he didn't reraise on 3rd street and bet or checkraise 4th street. What's the point in trapping. I obviously had jacks or something else strong and he shouldn't mind if he could somehow get me to fold.
Old 05-25-2005, 02:59 PM

Default Re: Playing back at high card raiser at final table

By letting you take the betting lead he lets you trap yourself. If he reraises on 3rd or checkraises on 4th, you might get away from the hand.

I'd probably have done the same thing with the plans to raise you on 5th street. When he makes his open pair, that plan won't work so he just bets out and hopes you call.

On 5th street, I don't see how you are pot committed though. When he bets out, you have to give him credit for 2 pair, and possibly Ks up. Why not just fold 5th? Yes, you've lost a lot of chips, but you have several thousand left; save them for a better spot.

I don't mind playing back at high card reraisers, he could easily have been stealing with crap.

You got what you wanted with your isolation reraise, but he improved before you did. By continuing, you allowed yourself to be further trapped. If he has 2 small pair you are an underdog. If he has Ks up you are in deep trouble.
Old 05-25-2005, 03:16 PM

Default Re: Playing back at high card raiser at final table

With 1700 in the pot and me having 5100 left, I think I had to play back on 3rd street, since I was getting decent odds so I wasn't losing that much even if he had kings. Plus he might just fold on 4th street if he had nothing.

I like his trapping in a cash game or with deeper money. The problem here is I don't have that many chips left and he was only a 2-1 favorite on 3rd street. He needs to get the money in, because I might fold if he slow plays and I might beat him.

I probably should have folded when he made the small pair. His smooth calling made me doubt he had a bigger pair than my jacks or maybe a pair at all. You are right though. I still had 3200 chips and I should have cut my losses. I had the mentality I was going "allin" at the beginning, but needed to adjust.