Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Other Poker > Stud
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-25-2005, 09:58 PM

Default Confused

So I bet fourth because it looked like everyone caught bad. Fifth is an easy bet. I probably should have just checked 6th. 7th I bet because I thought it was my only shot at winning. Is this something I shouldn't even try or what? I'm confused someone help me out

7 Card Stud High-Low ($5/$10), Ante $0.50, Bring-In $2 (hand converter)

3rd Street - (0.80 SB)

Seat 1: xx xx K[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]___folds
Seat 2: xx xx 4[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]___calls
Seat 3: xx xx A[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]___folds
Seat 4: xx xx J[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]___folds
Seat 5: xx xx 8[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]___folds
Seat 6: xx xx 5[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]___calls
Hero: 6[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 4[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 7[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]___calls
Seat 8: xx xx 2[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]___brings-in

4th Street - (2.40 SB)

Seat 2: xx xx 4[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] T[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]___checks___calls
Seat 6: xx xx 5[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 9[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]___checks___folds
Hero: 6[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 4[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 7[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 4[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]___bets___calls
Seat 8: xx xx 2[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 9[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]___raises

5th Street - (4.20 BB)

Seat 2: xx xx 4[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] T[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] J[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]___folds
Hero: 6[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 4[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 7[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 4[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] A[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]___bets
Seat 8: xx xx 2[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 9[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 6[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]___calls

6th Street - (6.20 BB)

Hero: 6[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 4[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 7[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 4[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] A[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] T[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]___bets
Seat 8: xx xx 2[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 9[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 6[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] Q[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]___calls

River - (8.20 BB)

Hero: 6[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 4[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 7[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 4[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] A[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] T[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 9[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]___bets
Seat 8: xx xx 2[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 9[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 6[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] Q[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] xx___calls

Total pot: (10.20 BB)

Results:
Main Pot: $99 | Rake: $3

Hero: [ 6d 4h 7c 4c As Td 9h ] [ a pair of fours -- As,Td,9h,4h,4c ]

Seat 8: [ 7s 7d 2d 9d 6h Qc Ah ] [ a pair of sevens -- Ah,Qc,9d,7s,7d ]
Old 05-25-2005, 10:05 PM

Default Re: Confused

He thinks you are just pushing your low and is content on calling you down with a pair of sevens. When he raises you on 4th you have to know he has a high hand. Like 99s or something. Anyways, you have to label these people and know they will call you down with just a lone pair when they think you are pushing your low. You will scoop a ton of pots from people like this.

I like how you played it though. I would assume most other people at the 5/10 level would usually fold on the end when they see they havent improved. You want this guy at your table though!

There have been a couple of posts recently about if betting this river is a good play. I think its all situation and player dependent. GL
Old 05-25-2005, 10:07 PM

I'm not sure you can check 6th. You've been representing a made low and a check by you will surely cause him to bet. As for the river bet... Chip Reese in SS recommends against bluffing split pots because someone will call hoping for half and end up scooping. Given that villain has called all the way, he either has a flush draw or a pair. A bet is +EV if he'll just fold 13% of the time, and I'm sure he's more likely to have a busted flush draw more often than that. On the other hand, he might even call with a busted draw if he pairs up. So in this case I think it's ambiguous whether betting the river is +ev. When in doubt, bet i say.
Old 05-26-2005, 03:54 AM

I play it about the same. Don't try to bluff this guy too much in the future, though.