Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Micro-Limits
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-06-2005, 07:08 AM

Default Re: Fish love to wait till the turn to push their sets

I love this reply, it clarifies the uncertainty of slowplaying enormously for me.

On certain tight tables though, I still think I like slowplaying even with available gutshots because it makes me very sad when I raise the flop, everyone folds and I scrape a meager pot. I'd rather take the chance of letting others draw thin and try win a bigger pot. I think the risk is worth it in certain situations.
Old 12-06-2005, 07:16 AM

in ML, it is better to error on the side of fastplaying your set than it is to slowplay...a lot better

Crovax
Old 12-06-2005, 07:27 AM

Grunch:

pf is fine, I usually try to limp with 77 & smaller as they are not worth much UI.

flop - I actually like your call here. Since the bettor is 2nd of 5 players AND to your right, calling is a great way of seeing how many limpers you have. NOTE: only on a relatively uncoordinated flop like this one!!

Turn - easy raise here. You actually made more here than calling.

Riv - autobet. You lost 1-3 BBs easy. The 8 only helps a VERY unlikely 67.
Old 12-06-2005, 09:54 AM

Thanks all, the replies are food for thought. I think one of my bigger leaks is being far too passive on the river with big hands and is something I'm trying to work on.
Old 12-06-2005, 10:42 AM

Why push small edges and not big ones. BET THAT RIVER. You should bet it every time. You should bet it with a hand like this even with top pair weak kicker. No one has indicated that they will check raise.

Greg
Old 12-06-2005, 11:17 AM

Calling vs. raising the flop with sets is heavily board-dependent. I will typically go to war on the flop with a two-flush or two-straight on the board, and just check-call on a weakly coordinated board like this one. We are way ahead, and would like to extract an extra bet from our opponents with a nice raise/check-raise when the bet doubles and our opponents are making second-best hands.
Old 12-06-2005, 11:19 AM

Betting this river is much much super duper really really more important than deciding whether to raise the flop or turn.
Old 12-06-2005, 11:40 AM

betting this river isnt even a decision. its the equivalent to folding AA to a raise preflop
Old 12-06-2005, 11:55 AM

*grunch*

It's situational. You want to do what will get the most bets into your pot and/or maximize your chances of winning.

In your example hand, MP2 is directly to your right. If you think that CO, Button and MP1 are loose enough to call 2 cold, go ahead and raise. If you know they're weak-tight and will fold, thus getting you only one extra bet from MP2 instead of 3 from the other players, just call.

I can't see any reason not to bet on the river, though. 67 is the only thing I can see beating you that wouldn't have three-bet you on the turn. A set of kings or 9s would probably have been aggressive there. The way MP2 slowed down after your turn raise, I'm guessing he had top-pair

All in all, slow-playing isn't as useful as people think it is.
Old 12-06-2005, 12:00 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Betting this river is much much super duper really really more important than deciding whether to raise the flop or turn.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yea man, work on that river first.