Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > Televised Poker
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-26-2005, 11:11 PM

Default Re: Theoretical situation.. first hand of the WSOP main event

[ QUOTE ]
You look down and find AA. Regardless of what you believe the SB to have... is this an instant call?

[/ QUOTE ]
Yes.

[ QUOTE ]
Some people seem to argue that someone as good as Phil Ivey doesn't need to take such a quick risk . . .

[/ QUOTE ]
Anyone who would fold there isn't anywhere near as good as Phil Ivey. In fact, he really sucks.
Old 11-27-2005, 05:02 PM

Default Re: This is not as obvious as people seem to think

[ QUOTE ]
I just did a search on here and found 10 posts stating it's trash with 1 being "It's ok for people who know absolutely nothing"

But nice try.

[/ QUOTE ]

Well, I did a search as well and found a few positive reviews. So I guess we search differently. I'm not a huge fan of it myself, but I still say characterizing it as "horrible" is wrong. Maybe the "lean" I mentioned is negative on 2+2. But, you know, this forum is not the only place reviews exist, though I agree it's the best.

Thanks for the "nice try." That was helpful.
Old 11-28-2005, 12:44 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I apologize if such a thread has been created before, but here we go...

Imagine you are a pro, say someone as good as Phil Ivey. It is the first hand of the WSOP main event. You are in the BB. Everyone folds to the SB, who moves all in.

You look down and find AA. Regardless of what you believe the SB to have... is this an instant call?

[/ QUOTE ]
we settled this a while back. from what i remember,the answer was determined to be "throw your cards in the air and run away screaming" (or something like that).
Old 11-29-2005, 02:48 PM

If I'm as good as Phil...I call in a heartbeat.

I'm a massive favorite over anything, my call is massively +tchipEV and +T$EV, and if he busts out on the first hand, he's got 10 days of awesome side game action where he'll make as much as he expected to make in the tourney...and if he really really wants to win the main event, he's got another 50 years of good poker for that.
Old 11-29-2005, 05:35 PM

What the hell, I'll answer, too...

Established pro: I'd call. If on the off chance aces gets cracked, just write it off as a bad day at the office and head for the next major tourney.

Winner of a freeroll and first time at a major tourney, and maybe the only time in your life: maybe - MAYBE - lay them down. I wouldn't, but I'd understand if someone like that would. You were probably looking for more than a one-hand experience to tell your friends about. And it's not as if doubling up on the first hand is guaranteed to get you in the money.
Old 11-29-2005, 06:11 PM

I think a much more interesting question to pose is, say you're Phil Ivey and you look down at KK. Now what do you do?
Old 11-29-2005, 06:23 PM

Sigh.. not this again.

I would push all-in with Aces if all 9 people called in front of me.

I'll take the hand equity every time (unless we're talking about a bubble situation).
Old 11-30-2005, 08:41 PM

I definitely don't agree with the post stating that it's an easy fold for Phil (or anyone else). The writer said that the SB would go all-in with A-A to avoid being outplayed by Ivey after the flop. I am confident that if the SB is that fearfull of Phil, he'd be going all-in with medium pairs too. CALL IT !
Old 12-01-2005, 10:35 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
If you're so afraid to play against Phil Ivey that you open-fold AA pre-flop, you probably shouldn't be playing in the WSOP in the first place.

[/ QUOTE ]

You should read all the post before you make incorrect comments.
What I said was that if I was in the SB, and Phil Ivey was in the BB, then I would fold everything except AA, in which case I would go all-in. Because I'm so sh!t scared of Phil Ivey.
And if that happens, and Phil Ivey has AA in the BB, then he should instantly fold because he would immediately deduce (as he is the greatest) that
(i) I'm sh!t scared of getting involved with him
(ii) because of (i), he knows that I would fold everything except AA
(iii) so because I actually decided to play at all, he KNOWS that I have AA. The fact that I went all in makes perfect sense to him because he KNOWS that I do not want to be be outplayed, so all-in is my only move.
So, for the above reasons, he knows that the best thing to do is fold, as the chances of doubling up are equal to the chances of getting knocked out. And he's too good a player to rely on 50/50 type situations.

What part of my Raymeresque type explanation do people not understand ?

[/ QUOTE ]

And I thought that the posts couldn't possibly get any dumber than the OP.
Old 12-01-2005, 10:50 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
If you're so afraid to play against Phil Ivey that you open-fold AA pre-flop, you probably shouldn't be playing in the WSOP in the first place.

[/ QUOTE ]

You should read all the post before you make incorrect comments.
What I said was that if I was in the SB, and Phil Ivey was in the BB, then I would fold everything except AA, in which case I would go all-in. Because I'm so sh!t scared of Phil Ivey.
And if that happens, and Phil Ivey has AA in the BB, then he should instantly fold because he would immediately deduce (as he is the greatest) that
(i) I'm sh!t scared of getting involved with him
(ii) because of (i), he knows that I would fold everything except AA
(iii) so because I actually decided to play at all, he KNOWS that I have AA. The fact that I went all in makes perfect sense to him because he KNOWS that I do not want to be be outplayed, so all-in is my only move.
So, for the above reasons, he knows that the best thing to do is fold, as the chances of doubling up are equal to the chances of getting knocked out. And he's too good a player to rely on 50/50 type situations.

What part of my Raymeresque type explanation do people not understand ?

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

So if Phil ask for a handjob do you give him one? How bout a [censored]?