Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Internet Gambling > Internet Gambling
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-01-2005, 02:04 PM

Default would UB be fishier if they didnt have a \"bet pot\" button?

in my opinion....the players that would normally hit top pair and bet $0.50 into a $2.75 pot at any other site instead press the big "BET POT" button and ruin my drawing odds....do you agree?
Old 10-01-2005, 02:34 PM

Default Re: would UB be fishier if they didnt have a \"bet pot\" button?

[ QUOTE ]
in my opinion....the players that would normally hit top pair and bet $0.50 into a $2.75 pot at any other site instead press the big "BET POT" button and ruin my drawing odds....do you agree?

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't agree. I can't believe anyone is that stupid that they only min bet because there's no bigger bet button. Of course, I have the habbit of giving too much credit to the common person.
Old 10-01-2005, 03:36 PM

Bet pot button is evil, makes it too easy to make the right move.
Old 10-02-2005, 12:06 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Bet pot button is evil, makes it too easy to make the right move.

[/ QUOTE ]

100% agreed!
Old 10-02-2005, 12:31 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I played UB almost exclusively for around 6 months while I was at the 2-4NL level. If anything I think the Bet Pot Button is a gift to the better players. Sure people will cut off your draws from time to time, but the benefit is that people WAY OVER BET their hands consistantly on the turn and river. So while you will get bad odds on draw, you will get full value when you flop 2 pair or a set etc
Old 10-02-2005, 01:07 PM

I totally agree. In my opinion, people bet the pot a lot more often when there is a "bet pot" button.
Old 10-02-2005, 01:29 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I totally agree. In my opinion, people bet the pot a lot more often when there is a "bet pot" button.

[/ QUOTE ]

I sure as hell would.
Old 10-02-2005, 03:55 PM

I was about to agree with uglyowl and jimbo on this one and now am changing over to deathvalley's viewpoint.

Hell, at first I think the bet-pot button was even helping ME to play better.
July, 2004 I played a zillion SNG's in their SNG-crazy promotion...and used the bet-pot a lot and it did improve my game. It helped bring me CLOSER to correct play much of the time.

But now that I am more aggressive and LEADING into things much of the time....I think the Bet-Pot button helps me GET calls there.
Players on UB (including the fish) are SO used to seeing pot-sized bets that it doesn't phase or intimidate them. Everybody knows that the bet-pot button is there. They will call a pot-sized bet with very thin draws.
And frequently when they want to come over-the-top of you will just click right back at you with another 'bet-pot' which is far more than necessary a lot of the time.
It's pretty nice when they do that to you while you're holding the nuts or top-set, etc.

If the guy goes almost all-in with another bet-pot while holding 33 and somehow draws out on your AK on board of K42 (as happened to me in a recent tourney there) then more power to him.

Also, I think that overbetting the pot AND/OR calling-down with incorrect odds are mistakes that are exaggerated with tourneys that play a bit deeper-stacked (both their MTT's and SNG's tend to play quite long).

this is interesting to think about.
Because all those 'bet-pots' coming at me from everyone sure do get frustrating and I thought it was evening the playing-field significantly.
I was forgetting about the times that the bet-pot that my opponent did paid-off huge but Death Valley helped me see it a bit better I think.
Old 10-02-2005, 04:00 PM

I used to think it made games worse, as did the bet pot button on FTP, but I think it's just an adjustment to make really.

I played about 4k hands there because I loved the software, and did quite well in that small sample size, but started to lose because I stopped adjusting I guess and said "screw this bet pot sht", when I could have just worked on my errors and kept playing.

You won't be drawing as much, but poor players will build big pots with weak hands really quickly in this game, you'll see some stuff at showdowns that you rarely even see at party in my short experience, just because they dig themselves in too deep.

More annoying to me is the fact that they don't tell you avg. pot size in NL games. I think I'll check these out again though.