Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > Beginners Questions
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

View Poll Results: is the signifigance of this relationship sex dependent?
there is little or no correlation between attractiveness and people skills 15 29.41%
the correlation between attractiveness and people skills is equally signifigant in men as it is in women 12 23.53%
the correlation between attractiveness and people skills is most signifigant in women 13 25.49%
the correlation between attractiveness and people skills is most signifigant in men 11 21.57%
Voters: 51. You may not vote on this poll

Old 08-13-2005, 05:19 PM

Default Defining your hand II; A Poll

Please help end an argument here in my hometown game.
Here's the question:
The Hold Em board has a 3 flush and its cards make a straight flush possible.
The guy with the ace high flush announces he has the nut flush. Others argue he does not, as a straight flush is possible. Others argue that a straight flush is a distinct and seperate hand, consisting of cards that make a straight and flush, and is not a "flush" as a flush does not beat a full house or four of kind.
To call the straight flush the nut flush, would be the same as if someone announced they had the nut straight to the board and the guy with the straight flush announcing, no, I have the nut straight.
So...............
Old 08-13-2005, 05:45 PM

Default Re: Defining your hand II; A Poll

I guess you have to look at this as a special situation, wherein we define the nuts as the best possible hand on the board. That would mean, technically, that a straight flush would be the nuts, but often times people don't declare their straight flushes as the nut flush... just some food for thought.
Old 08-13-2005, 06:02 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I guess you have to look at this as a special situation, wherein we define the nuts as the best possible hand on the board. That would mean, technically, that a straight flush would be the nuts, but often times people don't declare their straight flushes as the nut flush... just some food for thought.

[/ QUOTE ]

Ok......I thought I was clear, however, I can be clearer:
The guy with the Ace high flush was announcing he had the nut flush hand, not the nutz to the board.
Old 08-13-2005, 06:25 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Also, we will often have 4 or more players see the river. You will often hear a player with the best possible straight announce, when a flush is possible, that he has the nut straight hand. This is because it is possible that one of his opponents may have been drawing to a straight also, another may only have 3 of a kind etc.

The argument stems from the fact that some of the locals believe that a straight flush is also a flush.
Others believe it is not possible, as a flush does not beat four of kind.
A straight flush is exactly what it is: A 5 card hand, in numerical sequence, all of the same suit. It ranks higher than any other poker hand, with the Royal straight flush being the best of them all.

A flush is exactly what it is: 5 cards of the same suit in which all five cards are not in sequence. It is stronger than three of a kind and weaker in rank than a full house.
Old 08-13-2005, 06:38 PM

The ace high flush is only the nut flush if no straight flush is possible.

When a straight flush is possible, the ace high flush will be the second or third nut flush. What you have then is an Ace high flush.
Old 08-13-2005, 07:21 PM

This is very simple. The term "nut" in holdem equates to "best possible". If there is a straight flush possibility on board the best possibile flush is the straight flush, making it the nut flush.
Old 08-13-2005, 07:41 PM

[ QUOTE ]
This is very simple. The term "nut" in holdem equates to "best possible". If there is a straight flush possibility on board the best possibile flush is the straight flush, making it the nut flush.

[/ QUOTE ]when you have the Ahigh flush on a paired board, would you be incorrect to declare your hand the nut flush?
this argument is retarded and ive heard it at poker games many times.
is top full not the "nut full" bc quads is the nuts?
Ahigh flush = nut flush
straight flush = nuts.
Old 08-13-2005, 09:19 PM

[ QUOTE ]
when you have the Ahigh flush on a paired board, would you be incorrect to declare your hand the nut flush

[/ QUOTE ]

Of course you would. You don't have the "nuts", as you don't have the "nut" hand, but you still have the "nut" flush.

Of course top full is "nut" full, but again not the "nuts". AK on a QJ742 is "nut" no pair...

We're saying the same thing, aren't we?

lf
Old 08-14-2005, 12:49 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
when you have the Ahigh flush on a paired board, would you be incorrect to declare your hand the nut flush

[/ QUOTE ]

Of course you would. You don't have the "nuts", as you don't have the "nut" hand, but you still have the "nut" flush.

Of course top full is "nut" full, but again not the "nuts". AK on a QJ742 is "nut" no pair...

We're saying the same thing, aren't we?

lf

[/ QUOTE ]

Well, in this example you are saying the same thing. But in your first post in response to my example, you are not. There, you are calling the straight flush the nut flush hand and a straight flush is not a flush, as a flush does not beat a full house, much less quads.