Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Other Topics > Sporting Events
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-07-2005, 02:24 PM

Default Re: ***The OFFICIAL Sox ALDS***

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Schilling would be going on full rest today.

[/ QUOTE ]

Darn, you're right, he last pitched on Sunday. I could then make a case for him pitching today to set him up for Game 1 of the next series. Thanks for pointing out my oversight.

[/ QUOTE ]

This should take place next April for you, so I'm guessing your entire rotation should be set up pretty well for that.

[/ QUOTE ]

There's one thing I absolutely wouldn't do last year when it was looking good for the Red Sox and that was trash talk. And my teams last title was only 1918.
Old 10-07-2005, 02:40 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Darn, you're right, he last pitched on Sunday. I could then make a case for him pitching today to set him up for Game 1 of the next series. Thanks for pointing out my oversight.

[/ QUOTE ]

This should take place next April for you, so I'm guessing your entire rotation should be set up pretty well for that.

[/ QUOTE ]

There's one thing I absolutely wouldn't do last year when it was looking good for the Red Sox and that was trash talk. And my teams last title was only 1918.

[/ QUOTE ]
So this year you decided to go ahead and trash talk while down 0-2? I didn't exactly intend to trash talk. More or less, I was mocking the presumptuous tone of your post.
Old 10-07-2005, 03:22 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
So far they have held the "best" offense to 3 rpg. Pitching is the key.

[/ QUOTE ]

I think the Yanks offense is better than Boston's, but certainly pitching and defense are the reason the White Sox have been successful.

[/ QUOTE ]

Boston has scored more runs this year.

[/ QUOTE ]

Fenway Park.

Plus, the Yankee offense is better now than it was in April - when Giambi sucked and they actually started Tony Womack.

[/ QUOTE ]

The Yankees scored 7 more runs in Yankee Stadium thank the Sox did in Fenway Park.

The Sox scored 22 more runs on the road than the Yankees did.

[/ QUOTE ]

Strange things happen sometimes. Virtually every year Fenway has increased scoring more than Yankee Stadium.

It's true that the parks are different and part of it could be that the Yankee hitters are a good fit for YS - but I think most of it is that the Yankees just hit the ball better when at home this year. A-Rod's season at home this year was particularly impressive. After having an OPS of .857 last season at YS, well below his road OPS - he had an OPS of 1.114 this year at home. Add that to the fact that YS has always favored lefties and that makes A-Rod's season at home one of the best ever for a Yankee RHH.

The point is, I believe if the Yankees played the way they did at home this year but played at Fenway, they would have scored several more runs than they did.
Old 10-07-2005, 03:36 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
So this year you decided to go ahead and trash talk while down 0-2? I didn't exactly intend to trash talk. More or less, I was mocking the presumptuous tone of your post.

[/ QUOTE ]

We're still the World Champs baby! [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]
Old 10-07-2005, 03:45 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

We're still the World Champs baby! [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]

That you are. Don't mistake my post -- I'm still a shell-shocked Chicago sports fan! My preference is to get this over today, rather than to let it go on any longer. [img]/images/graemlins/crazy.gif[/img]
Old 10-07-2005, 04:16 PM

For those who know the Red Sox inside and out, are the Red Sox losing EV by having Varitek's bat out of the lineup on Wakefield starts? Clearly Varitek's ability to catch Wake is, well...yeah, but does this completely offset his offense?
Old 10-07-2005, 04:24 PM

[ QUOTE ]
For those who know the Red Sox inside and out, are the Red Sox losing EV by having Varitek's bat out of the lineup on Wakefield starts? Clearly Varitek's ability to catch Wake is, well...yeah, but does this completely offset his offense?

[/ QUOTE ]

Catchers typically take more days off than any other position. Mirabelli's numbers have not been good this year, but they are over very few PAs. Overall, he has been an excellent backup catcher and could start on several teams.

Also, the few times I have seen Tek catch for Wake, he has looked utterly hopeless handling the knuckleball.
Old 10-07-2005, 04:25 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Also, the few times I have seen Tek catch for Wake, he has looked utterly hopeless handling the knuckleball.

[/ QUOTE ]

This is true.
Old 10-07-2005, 04:31 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Not only is Wakefield's record horrible when Varitek catches, he actully can't catch it. Con't you remember last years playoff game against the Yankees when Wakefield came in in relief with Varitek still in the game. Seemed like a passed ball every other pitch.

Plus Varitek has slumped the end of this season and Mirabelli comes up with some big hits occasionally. Definitelky want Mirabelli there all the time Wakefield pitches.
Old 10-07-2005, 04:37 PM

Even though Varitek is slumping, today is probably a day where Ortiz should be using his first basemen's mitt.