Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Other Topics > Sporting Events
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-04-2005, 10:32 AM

Default Re: Manny Ramirez

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
after all the trash talk from cleveland fans and how a small market team was going to oust the 200m payroll yankees, yea i like to dish out a little of my own.

[/ QUOTE ]

techno is right here. there was tons of trash directed at the yankees coming from indians fans when they were winning every game, what goes around comes around.

[/ QUOTE ]

seriously wtf is your guys problem? how did this devolve into trash talk between indians and yankees fans? fwiw, please find one post where i was talkin trash. secondly, how can this statement "i just wanted to remind you all that manny batted 7th in cleveland. " have anything to do with talking trash to the yankees.

the comment in this thread was an interesting tidbit (i thought) about manny. the comments you guys have made are idiotic non sequitors and they are completely wrong.

thank you though, while i had no interest in the playoffs before at least you gave me a reason to root against the yanks. also, thank you for setting me straight on who the most idiotic insufferable fans are. all this time i thought it was the sox, glad that got cleared up.
Old 10-04-2005, 10:34 AM

[ QUOTE ]
also, thank you for setting me straight on who the most idiotic insufferable fans are. all this time i thought it was the sox, glad that got cleared up.

[/ QUOTE ]

Oh no, it's still the sawks...
Old 10-04-2005, 10:39 AM

[ QUOTE ]

I love Manny, but getting 'rid' of him is wise from a business standpoint.

[/ QUOTE ]

What do you want in return for Manny? I know that you said the red sox will take what they can get, but what do you want? And what are you willing to give up? Will you send cash in the deal? Prospects?
Old 10-04-2005, 10:50 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

What do you want in return for Manny? I know that you said the red sox will take what they can get, but what do you want? And what are you willing to give up? Will you send cash in the deal? Prospects?

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm pretty sure sublime just wants to get rid of his contract so they can pay other players. There's a reason he's been on waivers in the past.
Old 10-04-2005, 10:59 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm pretty sure sublime just wants to get rid of his contract so they can pay other players. There's a reason he's been on waivers in the past.

[/ QUOTE ]

Well you can't snap your fingers and make Manny go away. It's unlikely they put Manny on waivers again and even more unlikely that he's claimed. So players and/or money are going to have to move hands. And if you trade Manny and go after free agents, who are they?

With three years left on Manny's deal, it's not as large a burden as it was a couple years ago. Trading Manny creates a huge hole in the lineup. I just don't think getting rid of Manny by any means necessary is the no-brainer Sublime suggests it is.
Old 10-04-2005, 12:03 PM

i never said anything about manny batting 7th. i dont know what youre angry at me about that.

what i did say: "techno is right here. there was tons of trash directed at the yankees coming from indians fans"

i still dont see how that is untrue.
Old 10-04-2005, 12:10 PM

Well you can't snap your fingers and make Manny go away. It's unlikely they put Manny on waivers again and even more unlikely that he's claimed. So players and/or money are going to have to move hands. And if you trade Manny and go after free agents, who are they?

Why is it unlikey he be put on waivers? Also, why would it be unlikely he was claimed when the mets were willing to deal for him durign the season?

With three years left on Manny's deal, it's not as large a burden as it was a couple years ago. Trading Manny creates a huge hole in the lineup. I just don't think getting rid of Manny by any means necessary is the no-brainer Sublime suggests it is.

Its is though. He is entering the final (and most expensive) years of a contract and is expected to produde at the lowest level of the entire deal. Getting this contacrt off the books is just plain good business.

Of course, finding a replacement for mannys numbers are not easy, but he is a left fielder (and a below average one) not a shortstop or catcher.
Old 10-04-2005, 12:16 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Of course, finding a replacement for mannys numbers are not easy, but he is a left fielder (and a below average one) not a shortstop or catcher.

[/ QUOTE ]
finding a replacement for Manny in the lineup is basically impossible.

replacing our LF/1B combined numbers with a new LF/1B combo is not impossible,
Old 10-04-2005, 12:17 PM

[ QUOTE ]
i never said anything about manny batting 7th. i dont know what youre angry at me about that.

what i did say: "techno is right here. there was tons of trash directed at the yankees coming from indians fans"

i still dont see how that is untrue.

[/ QUOTE ]

that may be true, but it wasn't coming from Victor. returning trash talking is fine and dandy, but it should be directed at an original trask-talker, not a bystander who happens to share allegiances.
Old 10-04-2005, 12:31 PM

[ QUOTE ]

Why is it unlikey he be put on waivers? Also, why would it be unlikely he was claimed when the mets were willing to deal for him durign the season?

Its is though. He is entering the final (and most expensive) years of a contract and is expected to produde at the lowest level of the entire deal. Getting this contacrt off the books is just plain good business.

[/ QUOTE ]

It is unlikely that Manny be placed on waivers specifically because the Mets appear to have interest in Manny. Why give him away for free when you get something for him? Additionally, the Yankees are clearing a good bit of payroll this year I believe (Brown, Williams, Matsui is a free agent)...I don't think the Red Sox front office is going to be willing to risk seeing Manny playing for the Yanks next year. This would be a disaster for them.

You keep referring to these years as the most expensive years of Manny's contract. In fact, the opposite is true: Manny is being paide 19, 18, and 20 mill over the next three years, as opposed to 23.78 and 23.20 in 2004 and 2005.

But the most important issue is how you replace Manny. Manny is incredibly important to the Sox offense. There are only a handful of players that can replace Manny's numbers, and the Sox aren't getting most of them. The only guy that could even come close is Dunn, but sticking another lefty bat in that lineup is not a great idea. It's going to take multiple players to replace Manny.

But who are they? Maybe you can trade for a Beltran or a Delgado...maybe you sign Matsui. Quite frankly, those three options suck. So what players are you plugging in to take Manny's spot?

Having 20 mill to spend is great but you need players to spend it on.