Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > Multi-table Tournaments
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-31-2005, 05:12 PM

Default Re: Hand from Stars $10R

Chief I like your line much better here, I think leading out was a problem because I let the pot get too big with a mediocre holding.

Is everyone right about the pf raise? Maybe I am crazy but with a deep stack my goal is to see lots of flops with better info on my opponent's hand than he has on mine.
Old 08-31-2005, 05:31 PM

Tx,

What you do preflop with this hand depends alot on how well you play post-flop. I think I'd probably throw this away a lot with the blinds this low. If its suited I'd be slightly more tempted.

Once you get mixed into it though, I think I want to manage the pot as much as I can to see two more cards. I think if I catch a 9, or J, I'm stacking here.

Nick
Old 08-31-2005, 05:34 PM

[ QUOTE ]

Once you get mixed into it though, I think I want to manage the pot as much as I can to see two more cards. I think if I catch a 9, or J, I'm stacking here.

Nick

[/ QUOTE ]

if you catch one 9 or J total, or if you catch another one?
Old 08-31-2005, 05:39 PM

Another. So, if I can check/call a 1k bet on this flop, I'm gonna do it. VERY few people would fire the second barrel if they have overcards and dont hit on the turn. And a check behind on the turn tells me all I need to know about the hand.

Nick
Old 08-31-2005, 05:42 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Another. So, if I can check/call a 1k bet on this flop, I'm gonna do it. VERY few people would fire the second barrel if they have overcards and dont hit on the turn. And a check behind on the turn tells me all I need to know about the hand.

Nick

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm one of those very few people. [img]/images/graemlins/frown.gif[/img]
LAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAG.
Old 08-31-2005, 07:06 PM

Why the middle position raise with J9o? Were raises taking the blinds. Were the blinds on this hand tight? I don't see the point in this unless you have a good chance to steal the blinds.

You may be ahead on the flop, but with the small reraise preflop and the raise on the flop, villain is representing 99-AA. If he appears straightforward, it seems hard to call.
Old 08-31-2005, 10:16 PM

This is definately not a standard play, just something to mix it up. With 170 BBs I like to play a few hands with some potential that will be extremely hard for my opponent to put me on. Am I just spewing chips? It seems bad to play with a big stack the same way you would without it, I just haven't figured out all of the ways to mix it up yet, but I will.
Old 09-01-2005, 11:20 AM

[ QUOTE ]
This is definately not a standard play, just something to mix it up. With 170 BBs I like to play a few hands with some potential that will be extremely hard for my opponent to put me on. Am I just spewing chips? It seems bad to play with a big stack the same way you would without it, I just haven't figured out all of the ways to mix it up yet, but I will.

[/ QUOTE ]

Raising with J9s or any standard speculative hand is fine to mix it up. The raise with J9o is fine is you have decent chances to steal the blinds, but if you are probably going to get called, unless you are Daniel Negreanu, you are spewing chips.
Old 09-01-2005, 12:21 PM

J9 hand that u raised with PREFLOP is a POS hand...Then u get raised and the flop pairs ur kicker...Now at this point u gotta be afraid of an overpair...I'd put him on KK here, possibly QQ.

Indy
Old 09-01-2005, 02:49 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I agree, I bet the flop to refine my range which preflop was AQs,AK,QQ-AA. I feel he will call with AK, raise with QQ-AA and fold the rest. The min-raise PF, along with min-raise of flop bet put my range squarely on AA/KK. Is it worth calling the $2400 more to stack him on a favorable turn?

[/ QUOTE ]

Hey Tx.

No one has answered this question entirely, so here it goes...

Assuming that he has AA-QQ and will stack him if you hit your 9 or J, then you can BARELY call. Implied odds dictate that you are calling 2400 to win 21195 (pot+rest of his stack). 11.32% implied odds. You will hit a 9 or J on the turn 11.36% of the time. Therefore, you BARELY have the implied odds to call. But this is assuming he only has AA-QQ instead of AA-JJ (which is possible). Add in a little flavor and say that 10% of the time he has AK it makes the call a little better.

It's damn close. I probably call but you have to get ready to fold on the turn when you miss.

Brad