Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > Brick and Mortar
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-04-2005, 12:12 AM

Default Re: Help me pick a Vegas Hotel

[ QUOTE ]
I'm looking for a place with decent rooms, close to the strip,

[/ QUOTE ]

You do know that all the hotels you mentioned are on the strip right?
Old 08-04-2005, 12:14 AM

If I might ask, where did you find the best airfare deals? I'm considering my first trip out there, so I can't really help on the hotels front. GL.
Old 08-04-2005, 02:03 AM

Places like Travelocity or Orbitz will usually have the same offerings, and are usually pretty cheap. Check the airline's website for their fare before you book on Travelocity/Orbitz to make sure it's the cheapest.
Old 08-04-2005, 02:07 AM

First time visitors should definitely stay at The Western. Nice location and great people there.
Old 08-04-2005, 02:12 AM

You can use TravelAxe to find some pretty good hotel deals. I think I first discovered the program via a 2+2 thread back in January and used it then. I'm not afilliated with them.

The program is a Windows executable, and it basically aggregates the results from Travelocity, Orbitz, etc. (like 15 sources). I don't think it takes into account poker rates though. It's free to use, although I think it may pass a referrer code to the sites used to actually book the reservation (if that bothers you).
Old 08-04-2005, 03:32 AM

[ QUOTE ]
First time visitors should definitely stay at The Western. Nice location and great drugs there.

[/ QUOTE ]

FYP again
Old 08-04-2005, 03:56 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
You'll need to play in the big games to cover that spa cost!! Spas are definitely -EV [img]/images/graemlins/ooo.gif[/img].

[/ QUOTE ]

You should've told my friends that paid $100 for massages that...

[/ QUOTE ]

ouch...

did those come with happy endings?
Old 08-04-2005, 06:27 AM

whats wrong with the Trop...never been there, but does it suck balls to stay or something?
Old 08-04-2005, 09:00 AM

[ QUOTE ]
If I might ask, where did you find the best airfare deals? I'm considering my first trip out there, so I can't really help on the hotels front. GL.

[/ QUOTE ]

Check out the site Allegiantair.com. They are running a special on air/hotel packages. They only fly out of a limited number of cities, but if you're close to one you should be able to find a good deal. Have to purchase by 8/24 and travel through 1/31.
Old 08-04-2005, 09:08 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Hey all,
I'm heading to vegas for the first time. I found good flight/hotel deals for the Luxor, Aladdin, NY NY, Tropicana, excalibur and the flamingo. I'm looking for a place with decent rooms, close to the strip, but most of all, a nice pool and spa to keep the girlfriend busy while I play some poker. Any suggestions?
Thanks

[/ QUOTE ]

I've stayed at all of these places except for Excalibur. Aladdin definitely has the nicest rooms. Their pool is nice but not special. Their spa is very nice. Luxor would be my second choice--nice room, VERY impressive common areas (lobby, etc.), very nice spa, nice, but again ordinary, pool. NYNY is a great property, but people don't seem to like the pool very much. I don't think it's bad, but it is kind of small for the size of the property. The best pool of the bunch, though, is the Flamingo. That's really a beautiful pool. Check out hotel pools at this site:
http://vegas.com/resorts/pools/

Flamingo also has a small,friendly poker "room" (area). Aladdin has a very nice poker room. I don't like Luxor's room, but I'm not sure why.

If the prices were all similar, I'd pick Aladdin. I just love their rooms. But if the pool is the #1 priority, I'd pick Flamingo.

I don't think you need to upgrade in terms of $$ to go to Mirage or Wynn--some of the properties you've listed are very nice. If you have any specific questions about any of these properties, I'd be happy to try to answer.