Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Micro-Limits
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-03-2005, 03:13 PM

Default 6max Blind Play

Ive read the historic posts on 6max (6max babysteps) and am currently using the excel starting hands spreadsheet posted by one of the users. I'm still a little confused on blind play.

Im particularly wondering, is there any reason to complete the sb? I think that unless we are getting 5-6 all coming in for one bet, the power of suited connectors etc are reduced a lot because the pot size is smaller than full ring with a lot of limping.

Im also confused about when to raise from the BB. Most raising hands (UTG) Ive been raising but if it is one bet back when should I call a raise in the BB?

Thanks,
Greg
Old 12-03-2005, 03:38 PM

Default Re: 6max Blind Play

after reading eds article in the mag I decided to drop down a level and try 6max again. It is pretty addicting. Super soft at .5/1
Old 12-04-2005, 12:19 PM

In these situations I'm looking for hands with showdown value. I'll complete in the SB with weakish Aces and suited connectors with limpers, but shorthanded I want some good reads and a hand that could win unimproved. Tha pots are smaller preflop and that cuts out some hands, but postflop is where the money is made in 6 max. Obviously if it's folded to you in the SB you're not completing. Of course if it's folded to you in the SB, you probably should find another table. [img]/images/graemlins/smirk.gif[/img]

I was hoping some of the more experienced 6 max players would reply cause that ain't my game of choice, but that's how I'm playing thus far.

Ben
Old 12-04-2005, 12:25 PM

In the SB, I complete with suited connectors and semi-connectors all the time. They're still worth playing when you can get in for half price. The hands to drop are the "suited junk" hands like T3s that are marginal conversions in full ring but not worth it in 6max. Then again, I would normally fold Q9o without a second thought in full ring but convert without a second thought in 6max. Basically, you need to put more emphasis on high card value and less emphasis on suitedness/conectedness.

The number of limpers matters here as well. I will convert stuff like A4o against one or two limpers, but fold it it's going to be a family pot. In fact, you can consider raising A4o if there's one bad limper and the BB is tight and will fold to your raise. These kinds of decisions are more opponent-dependent than they are in full ring. You'll get the hang of it with experience.
Old 12-04-2005, 01:20 PM

So there are some situations where you would want to complete but not raise.

It seems like my intuition is correct that you would play the suited connectors more if you have more limpers and play the high cards more if you are 1st or second in. (especially when the table gets down to 3 handed).

What do you play against a raise in the BB? Should you play this with high cards against one or two others and expand to the connectors etc when gettign to 5 and six in on the flop? I feel like Im folding the BB too much to a raise rather than completing.

Greg
Old 12-04-2005, 01:28 PM

It depends. Who is raising, where, reads, cold callers? If it is an UTG raise and no callers, I'm folding more, if it is a LP raise/blind steal attempt, I'm defending more.

My raise or call decision depends on mostly reads, but position and table texture are a big part of it.
Old 12-04-2005, 02:03 PM

I complete any suited hand in the sb. We will see how it goes.
Old 12-04-2005, 02:21 PM

Lol i complete with anything suited if i know it wont be raised, Connected unsuited hands i usally ditch.
Ill complete Ax, Kx, Qx is pushing it a bit though.

24s and ill complete

I'll review my SB/BB play once ive logged 10k hands and checked my PT stats, Then i'll whip out pokerstove.