Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-07-2005, 01:43 AM

Default Re: how can you be a fan of this sport?

your a terrible person if you dont think soccer is by far the most competetive and fun to follow sport not based in america. I think world, but know that i will run into a lot of resistance with that comment.
Old 04-07-2005, 01:47 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
"4) Don't have on field officials (who often don't get the best view of things) decide suspeneions and fines."

If you mean the referees, they do not decide suspensions or fines.

-Michael

[/ QUOTE ]

A word of advice:

If the ref gives you a card, make sure that he's got time to take down your player number.

I once took a guy down somewhat illegally, and it made an awful noise. The ref was pulling a card and I figured I was getting a yellow. He pulled a red so I walked off the field.

I returned when asked, and then left once he took down the number.

However, in his book he wrote "gross unsportsmanlike conduct", and my coach had to go to a hearing for me to avoid being suspended for any longer than 2-3 games.

I wasn't trying to be a prick by walking off the field, it's just that in the moment, you're all pumped up with adrenaline and you're not thinking straight (not to mention being given a red card in front of like 50 people and letting down your team by putting them a man short).

So, let him take down the number.

But damn I love that game!
Old 04-07-2005, 01:49 AM

[ QUOTE ]
your a terrible person if you dont think soccer is by far the most competetive and fun to follow sport not based in america. I think world, but know that i will run into a lot of resistance with that comment.

[/ QUOTE ]

You forgot Noble and True.
Old 04-07-2005, 01:50 AM

This reminds me of another rule change soccer needs to make

6) Players should be ejected (sent-off) ONLY for unsportsman-like conduct, and even then, their team should be allowed to sent on a replacement. (I.e. not for agressive tackling etc.)
Old 04-07-2005, 01:56 AM

My point is that a fine or suspension should be issued by the league after a carefull review of the video, and other evidence. Suspensions should not be put into effect as a result of a referee's decision during the course of the game. (IMO, many of the offenses for which yellow cards are issued do not warrent suspensions even if they are committed a hundred times. More often than most soccer fans would like to admit, yellow cards are issued on plays that shouldn't even have have been fouls.)
Old 04-07-2005, 01:57 AM

Default baseball.... baseball... baseball....

IMO, it's all about going to a game.

on a nice day, there's very little that's better than going to the ballpark with good freinds, lazily watching the game as you while away the afternoon eating hotdogs and drinking beer in the sun.

...and then...

...the sharp crack of the bat hitting a ball just right interrupts your conversation- it's a particularly singular sound... the ball sails over the fence... all of the sudden, you're on your feet, clapping and screaming like a mainiac, giving high fives to strangers...

then it's back to your beer and stadium food for a couple more innings... maybe some freshly roasted peanuts, dropping the shells under your seat... the green grass... the community feeling that comes with sharing conversation with strangers that you do not know at all, but you do know that you have at least one thing in common...

...and then...

...once in a while, something truly amazing can happen... if you ever get to watch a pitcher work a no-hitter into the seventh or beyond, or you ever get to see a guy win a game in the bottom of the ninth... you'll be hooked. there is no other sport that is capable of attaining the level of tension and relaese that base ball can... waiting for the pitch, with the game on the line, the batter has lasers for eyes, concentrating inhumanly hard, waiting to try to hit a round ball with a round bat as a professional trys to throw it past him at 100MPH. he knows that he will fail 70% of the time or more, but the game is on the line, the crowd leans foward en masse...

the tension builds and falls like waves on a beach with each pitch. higher... higher... and in an instant (actually about 7/10ths of a sec).. it's either over or it's not... he's a hero or the goat...

baseball: its all about teamwork, but there is nothing as essential within it as the one-on-one confrontation as the pitcher trys to gun down yet another batter... it's a perfect metaphor for anything you'd like: it's life, it's death, it's democracy and brotherhod and rugged individualism, it's futility and suffering; it's glorious redemption and rebirth...

I could go on like this for hours. you should go to a game.
Old 04-07-2005, 01:58 AM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

rugby
aussie rules football
sumo wrestling
that Afganistan game where they use a dead goat for the ball
tennis
golf
curling
cricket
Old 04-07-2005, 02:00 AM

Default Re: baseball.... baseball... baseball....

I couldn't agree more.
Old 04-07-2005, 02:08 AM

Oh man, sumo wrestling is awesome, but I've only ever seen maybe a half hour of it.

I need more, damnit! [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
Old 04-07-2005, 02:13 AM

Any game that can end in a tie as much as soccer does is lame in my book. Not just a tie but a 0-0 tie. I know most of the world disagrees but it's a horrible sport. I think it's so big in impoverished countries because you don't need much equipment to play it. A ball and some sticks or rocks to mark the goal and you are ready to go.