Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > One-table Tournaments
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-13-2005, 11:58 AM

Default Re: Another Early Push

[ QUOTE ]
It's fine. I don't fold overpairs early in anything under a 50, even if someone put a gun to my head. It's never -EV to call w an overpair in a $5 sng...just too many donks to consider ever folding.

[/ QUOTE ]

I guess the lesson that I should learn is

a) think about the spectrum of possible hands a little more carefully. I think now that the number of hands I am ahead of is much more than the number I am behind and would probably push anyways.

b) Not to get too results oriented about my play

c) Increase the PF raise with limpers in front since they are more likely to come along for the ride anyways. Especially early on in the tourney.

Greg
Old 09-13-2005, 01:35 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
It's fine. I don't fold overpairs early in anything under a 50, even if someone put a gun to my head. It's never -EV to call w an overpair in a $5 sng...just too many donks to consider ever folding.

[/ QUOTE ]

I guess the lesson that I should learn is

a) think about the spectrum of possible hands a little more carefully. I think now that the number of hands I am ahead of is much more than the number I am behind and would probably push anyways.

[/ QUOTE ]

While there are a lot of idiots at that level, I don't like this line of thinking here.

Villain led out on the flop, and then re-raised you for more than half his stack. This is a considerable show of strength. Unless you have witnessed him being an idiot in a prior hand, you are probably behind and should lay this down. What hands does he lead out and re-raise with that you're ahead of?

Most of the players at this level are loose and weak players. When they bet, it usually means they have something. (What that something is, you need to figure out [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img] )

I just don't think villain is re-raising you with any hands you beat. With A8, A7 or a straight draw, he is calling your bet, not re-raising you. TT and 99 are possibilities, but again, I really think those hands call instead of re-raising.
Old 09-13-2005, 01:47 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Either an A7, set of 5's or 8's??? I think both of you bet too much on the flop, who wants to risk so much without a very strong hand so early on...now I think about even more he had to have a small set or just a donkey???

[/ QUOTE ]

I see the same play a lot with 66 or A6

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah I totally agree with you. And as this is a low limit $5 sng I think these players could have a number of donkey hands. Preflop you need to raise more to get the donkeys out or at least make them pay big for seeing the flop.

A bet of 110 preflop is probably your best move here, if you get two callers and one player moves all-in you have to think.)

A) I can probably fold this and find a better spot or
B) +EV against these low limit Gus Hansen wannabes I call

Like I said I think you played the hand fine on the flop, you just need to to make'em pay preflop.
Old 09-13-2005, 01:54 PM

Listen it's possible that he flopped the nut straight, a set, or two pair. But even in $30s, I see donks make moves like this with top and middle pair. If he flopped a set, youre in bad shape. If he flopped 2 pr, you've got a fair amount of outs. If he flopped nut str8, you're screwed, but it's pretty unlikely.

If this was later in the tourney, I think it through. But this early when every idiot is still alive, I just don't see how you can fold an overpair.

Thinking logically is incorrect here, because they aren't.
Old 09-13-2005, 01:58 PM

I am never folding this hand on that flop in a $5+$1.