Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Micro-Limits

Old 12-19-2005, 10:54 AM

Default Re: Newbie turning coward?

:grunching

Hand 1 is hard to play without any reads. A fold is probably a good default play though.

Hand 2, you make your full house on the turn and you fold? [img]/images/graemlins/confused.gif[/img] You probably cost yourself >10BBs here. Raise and cap!

Edit: I missed your check in hand2, just bet/3-bet
Old 12-19-2005, 11:24 AM

[ QUOTE ]
So I'm at the "I've been going too far with my hands -> I'm folding to any sign of danger " phase in my learning hold'em cycle.

How would you have played the following hands?

I just joined the game, all the other players are complete strangers.

Hand1:
Party Poker 0.50/1 Hold'em (10 handed) FTR converter on zerodivide.cx

Preflop: Hero is UTG+2 with T[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], T[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img].
UTG calls, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises</font>, <font color="#666666">7 folds</font>, UTG calls.

Flop: (5.50 SB) 7[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], 6[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], J[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">UTG bets</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises</font>, UTG calls.

Turn: (4.75 BB) J[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">UTG bets</font>, Hero folds.

Final Pot: 5.75 BB

Hand 2:
Party Poker 0.50/1 Hold'em (10 handed) FTR converter on zerodivide.cx

Preflop: Hero is SB with 8[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], 8[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img].
<font color="#666666">2 folds</font>, <font color="#CC3333">UTG+2 raises</font>, <font color="#666666">4 folds</font>, Button calls, Hero calls, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>.

Flop: (7 SB) A[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], 8[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], J[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
Hero checks, <font color="#CC3333">UTG+2 bets</font>, Button calls, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises</font>, UTG+2 folds, Button calls.

Turn: (6 BB) A[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
Hero checks, <font color="#CC3333">Button bets</font>, Hero folds.

Final Pot: 7 BB

[/ QUOTE ]

Grunching

Hand 1: After your flop aggression, another jack pops up and villian seems not to care. Depending on my read (if villian is not normally too aggressive) I fold this. I might call the turn to see a river (miricle T) or even call down if villian is very aggressive because he/she might also be overly playing middle pair and think that the second jack on the boare makes it more likely that you dont have one.

Hand #2:Terrible fold, what does villian have that beats you Quad Aces AJ? I cap every street unless the board pairs again because villian is much more likely to have a lone ace. If he has the flush or just trip aces, CHARGE HIM FOR IT.

Greg
Old 12-19-2005, 11:48 AM

*grunch

I like hand 1. his response to your flop raise really tells you where you are (unless he's vv.agg).

Hand 2? I guess i don't like money some days either. i'm sure you know by now that that was a serious mistake.
Old 12-19-2005, 12:21 PM

Hand 1: I go to calldown mode. If he really had the jack, I think he'd be tempted to check-raise the turn. I think he has a seven and thinks with two jacks out you don't have anything.

Hand 2: I'd bet out the flop hoping to get raised by preflop raiser since that ace hit. Then we can 3-bet the flop and he might cap. Then you fold on the turn? Button could be betting a flush draw that came in since he called both bets on flop. Again, I lead the turn, if I get raised, its three bet time again.
Old 12-19-2005, 12:34 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Hand 1---turn fold is very bad, why would you raise preflop,raise the flop and fold the turn with your hand?

Hand 2---THis one is tricky, however you have to call it down.

[/ QUOTE ]

Wow you swung and missed on both these.

Hand 1 fold is not very bad. Its not bad at all with no reads. Calling down you are going to see a J here about 90% of the time.

Hand 2 isnt tricky and you dont call down, you raise. I expect to see villian with AK or AQ most of the time.
Old 12-19-2005, 12:41 PM

Grunch

Hand 1: looks good. If villian is a LPP then you I would put him on a J or higher pair.

Hand 2: You've got a full house. You have to raise on the river.
Old 12-19-2005, 12:49 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Hand 1---turn fold is very bad, why would you raise preflop,raise the flop and fold the turn with your hand?

Hand 2---THis one is tricky, however you have to call it down.

[/ QUOTE ]

Wow you swung and missed on both these.

Hand 1 fold is not very bad. Its not bad at all with no reads. Calling down you are going to see a J here about 90% of the time.

Hand 2 isnt tricky and you dont call down, you raise. I expect to see villian with AK or AQ most of the time.

[/ QUOTE ]

J 90% of the time are you joking.....
Old 12-19-2005, 12:51 PM

Grunch:

Hand 1. Depending on the read of the other player, I tend to call down if he is loose and aggressive or just plain stupid. If he is a good tight aggressive player then I'll fold. If I don't have a read, I sometimes will call down just to see what he has (tend to do that too much, though).

Hand 2. With a flush draw on the board, I tend to bet out the flop. I would hate for it to be checked through giving any flush draws a free card.

Once the board paired, I then hope like hell someone hit a flush or at least has trip aces. Only thing that can beat you are quads or a bigger full house. You'll win more times than you will lose.
Old 12-19-2005, 12:59 PM

Hey, just wanted to let you know you're not alone in mis-reading your hand, like hand #2.

I've done that before. (lot's of other mistakes as well)

I would get into a mindset of "I have xxx hand" on the flop, and possibly overlook the flush/straight/fullhouse I made on the turn or river.

Also watch out when you're playing two pair and the board pairs, possibly counterfeiting one of your pairs. I've missed that in the past too.

Try to get into the habit of re-reading the board on every street, and also think about all the ways your hand can improve on every street. Then bet accordingly [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

If my advise is too basic, just tell me to shut up, wouldn't be the first time...
Rob
Old 12-19-2005, 01:08 PM

I did that a couple of times early on. Calling down after the board paired thinking someone hit bigger trips than me without realizing that I boated up. Only to be surprised when I won the hand. I learned real quick, when I have a set and the board pairs that is a good thing. It is good when the other guys hits his trips then. [img]/images/graemlins/cool.gif[/img]