Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Other Poker > Other Poker Games
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-02-2005, 10:12 PM

Default 238, 248, and 258

I find some tough decisions preflop with these hands. I think they are a clear raise to open pot in any position (correct me if im wrong). I feel like im playing bad if I coldcall a raise with these hands when im not in blinds.. Obviously depends on who raised. Just seems to me like im behind a lot of time when i play these hands after pot has been opened. Lol i wrote this i got 238 out of SB called a raise and made an 86 against the nuts.. Maybe i answered my own question.. Any thoughts would be great!
Old 10-02-2005, 10:24 PM

Default Re: 238, 248, and 258

Yes, always worth an openraise.

Coldcalling is an interesting question, and very game-specific. I coldcall with 2w8 a lot, and sometimes worse hands. It's not something I'd recommend generally, but it does have its places. If your opponents are typically only raising 2x7 or better, it's probably better to fold.
Old 10-02-2005, 10:50 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Yes, always worth an openraise.

Coldcalling is an interesting question, and very game-specific. I coldcall with 2w8 a lot, and sometimes worse hands. It's not something I'd recommend generally, but it does have its places. If your opponents are typically only raising 2x7 or better, it's probably better to fold.

[/ QUOTE ]

I think you need to be careful with these hands in early position. At a full table (particularly a loose table) you are likely to end up playing OOP against several players, one or two of whom may be drawing to a 7.
Old 10-03-2005, 03:17 AM

I openraise these in LP but not EP, and of course defend my blinds with them. I think these hands really require position to play, openraising UTG then getting 19 callers and having to play it OOP is a headache and probably a sizeable leak I think.

I don't coldcall with these unless I'm on the button against a nutjob. I'll often just pass on it though, maybe that's a poor decision.

That being side, I'm on the tight side of the spectrum.
Old 10-03-2005, 04:02 AM

Those are some pretty good 2 card draws to be folding. I consider all of these hands to be better than 267.

That said, I'm increasingly thinking I'm on the laggy side of 27 players.
Old 10-05-2005, 09:28 AM

in tougher games i'm usually mucking these hands in first position (and sometimes second as well). it becomes too tough to play OOP against tough tricky good players.

on the button i'm almost always playing these hands, which means a decent amount of coldcalling and some 3-betting.