Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Hold'em

Old 06-20-2005, 01:52 AM

Default Blind Raises, when to check and when to raise...?

I am posting concerning small and big blind raises on empire/party 3/6 tables. I find myself debating raising and calling very often when i am in the blinds and there are already 4 limpers or more. Specifically i find my self unsure with hands such as AQo, 99s, 10s, AJo, A10s. Im unsure because i feel like if i raise i pump the pot too much and lose all folding equity if anyone hits the flop at all. At the same time, i feel like i am forfeiting(sp?) some of these pots to 'scary' flop aggression by late position players just raising their draws on 'scary' boards. My usual attack is to check raise the flop if it is favorable to push out as many poeple as possible, or check/fold if i feel i am 'clearly' beaten. I would like some insite to this topic so that perhaps i will have a better understanding of what i am doing and why i am doing it in these situations. thanks alot guys.
-Joey
Old 06-20-2005, 02:12 AM

Default Re: Blind Raises, when to check and when to raise...?

There are a lot of other factors to consider (chief among them what kind of players are limping to you), but generally speaking...

I raise with AQo & TT. I sometimes raise with ATs. The rest I generally just complete/check with vs. that large a field. Of course you want to mix your play up from time to time.
Old 06-20-2005, 02:47 AM

If you expect to see a flop 5-handed or more, you should be raising many suited hands you are going to play. ATs obviously, but even hands like A6s that will win a large pot when you flop a draw (and want other hands to have "odds" to draw to second best hands). I'd raise K9s+ also. Suited connectors 87s+ deserve a raise against a large limping field, as do any pocket pair. You're pushing your equity edge here - even a hand like 44 will hit a set often enough to be raised against 4 or more limpers if you calculate implied odds.

Unsuited hands like AQ/AJ are less clear. I tend not to raise them against a large field, but will raise AQ against 3 or 4 limpers. A lot of this depends on the position of the limpers - you do not want to be raising a hand like AJo when UTG and UTG+1 are tight and limping. You almost always have an equity edge with these hands, but from the blinds the postflop with AQ/AJ is much easier in an unraised pot, so it's a judgment call on which edge is more important to you.

Betting and checkraising are your two weapons, you'll use them as you see fit to either protect your hand or "pump" the pot. If you're unsure about any of these ideas, check out the Microlimit forum.
Old 06-20-2005, 04:19 AM

This makes sense to me. thanks for your input.
-Joey
Old 06-20-2005, 04:25 AM

Hey Joey

I can't speak for anyone else here, but I would be much more inclined to raise with a hand like ATs than AQo. By building a big pot preflop, you are often making the idiot low limit correct to try and draw out on you, especially when you have no real way to protect your hand in the BB. A suited hand has a bigger equity edge because flushes don't care how many people people try and draw out on them.

My .02
Old 06-20-2005, 08:14 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I can't speak for anyone else here, but I would be much more inclined to raise with a hand like ATs than AQo. By building a big pot preflop, you are often making the idiot low limit correct to try and draw out on you, especially when you have no real way to protect your hand in the BB.

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm not sure, but didn't Ed Miller cover the issue of avoiding raises pre flop to not give drawing hands odds post flop? He (might have) stated that you shouldn't care about giving people correct odds post flop to draw since they make a bigger mistake pre flop by calling.