Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Micro-Limits
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-01-2005, 01:16 AM

Default Late play with a set of jacks.

How's my line on each street? Would you push more or slow down anywhere? Like the turn cap? What about a 3bet on the river? I don't think I should 3bet this river after being check-raised. Any advice is greatly appreciated.

Reads: After 50 hands... UTG+1 65%/9%/0.55 SB 67%/6%/1.90

Party Poker 0.5/1 Hold'em (10 handed) converter

Preflop: Hero is MP3 with J[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], J[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]. MP1 posts a blind of $0.5.
<font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, UTG+1 calls, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, MP1 (poster) checks, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises</font>, CO calls, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, SB calls, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, UTG+1 calls, MP1 calls.

Flop: (11 SB) J[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], 8[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], 5[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(5 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">SB bets</font>, <font color="#CC3333">UTG+1 raises</font>, MP1 folds, <font color="#CC3333">Hero 3-bets</font>, CO folds, SB calls, UTG+1 calls.

Turn: (10 BB) Q[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">SB bets</font>, UTG+1 calls, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises</font>, <font color="#CC3333">SB 3-bets</font>, UTG+1 calls, <font color="#CC3333">Hero caps</font>, SB calls, UTG+1 calls.

River: (22 BB) 2[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
SB checks, UTG+1 checks, <font color="#CC3333">Hero bets</font>, <font color="#CC3333">SB raises</font>, UTG+1 calls, Hero calls.

Final Pot: 28 BB
Old 04-01-2005, 01:20 AM

Default Re: Late play with a set of jacks.

Fabulously standard. Did you have a question, or are you pretending to have a question so you can brag? [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]

Ni han

I guess while I'm ribbing you I should go ahead and at least try to answer your question. I think you are correct to call the river c/r. The other streets are good. I suppose you probably got beat on this hand, which is why you're asking. Don't worry about individual results, playing correctly gets the cash in the long run.
Old 04-01-2005, 01:24 AM

SB show you 9T and drag it?
Old 04-01-2005, 02:34 AM

Yup he showed T9 and took it down. [img]/images/graemlins/frown.gif[/img] I took a short break away from playing, and have been on a losing streak since I have come back. I just wanted to make sure I was on target and not making some major mistakes, so I decided to post a hand.
Old 04-01-2005, 02:42 AM

Question: I know this may seem a little results-oriented given it was after you posted the results, but I admit first looking at this it looked a lot like 9T. If UTG+1 isn't in there padding the pot on the turn do we still cap?
Old 04-01-2005, 05:35 AM

Yes, I think I keep the same line on the turn even if UTG+1 isn't there.
Old 04-01-2005, 05:42 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Yes, I think I keep the same line on the turn even if UTG+1 isn't there.

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm inclined to agree. At .5/1 you will see similar play with a 2 pair, lower trips, and sometimes an overplayed AQ. This is even more true given SB's stats.

-Tim

edit: i'm not sure I disagree with not capping either. I think i need to look at this when it isnt 3am
Old 04-01-2005, 05:52 AM

I feel like calling the turn as SB just screams straight to me. Then again seeing the later action probably influenced this. It's probably correct to raise the turn, but I wouldn't cap it. Also if you just called the turn after he 3 bet it he'd probably lead the river and you wouldn't have to suffer a check raise.

Edit: Posted this before looking at the results, so don't think I said not to raise the turn because of the results. [img]/images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img] Then again it's pretty obvious what villain had so 'twas results based? [img]/images/graemlins/confused.gif[/img]

Just raise teh [censored] turn.
Old 04-01-2005, 09:21 AM

I would raise the turn and call the 3-bet.

Say the turn was the Q [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]. Would you still cap it? I certainly wouldn't.
Old 04-01-2005, 12:16 PM

capping the turn is good. you have tons of outs to the straight and are dragging another player along.