Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Internet Gambling > Internet Gambling
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 12-21-2005, 05:25 PM

Default Internet Security Measures

My Neteller account was recently hacked into and the investigations team at Neteller told me that I could've been infected with a MYTOB virus. I had never heard of it, but apparently it's a keylogger virus. (For those that don't know, it's a virus that gets on your computer and records what you type and sends the log to the hacker.)

I guess this is party my fault because I didn't do a good enough job of keeping my computer protected from such things. I still can't think how a keylogger could've gotten onto my computer because I don't download things from suspicious sites. But then who knows.

This incident gave me a good kick in the butt and got me to realize that I too am vurnerable to viruses and hackers. I'm not very good at computer setup and security stuff so I called Geeks-On-Call and someone came over to clean up my computer and set me up with an antivirus and firewall software from Computer Associates. He also scanned my computer for a MYTOB and didn't find any. I was told in many instances that the hacker will remove the MYTOB after he gets what he wants.

So, now he tells me my computer is clean and protected, but I was wondering if this is enough. There is a feature on this firewall that alerts me when something on my computer is trying to access the internet. So suppose another virus gets on my computer without my knowledge and tries to send information to the hacker, this firewall will let me know that something is trying to get out. This may be common knowledge for many but I was not aware that firewalls do this so when I heard this I felt pretty good that I will now know when something screwy is happening.

But my question basically is this. What do you guys do to keep yourselves protected from hackers and viruses, other than having a basic antivirus and firewall software.