Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-06-2005, 06:17 AM

Default Moving up? PartyPoker 2/4 -> 3/6, 5/10

Hello All,

I would like to hear peoples expierience with moving up at Party Poker from 2/4. As I am considering the move myself and am wondering about what skill levels I will see at those levels and if there are any suggestions for adjusting to the game at those levels.

I have built the bank roll for it, but it there are sooooo many bad players at 2/4 that it is tough to leave it. Will I see as many at 3/6 or 5/10?

Regards,
Hobbs
Old 07-06-2005, 07:10 AM

Default Re: Moving up? PartyPoker 2/4 -> 3/6, 5/10

Don't be worried - the ONLY thing to consider is just seeing all the $$ on the table. I've been to 5/10 and they are the same players, and a friend has been to 10/20 - the same fish!!

Biggest jump in talant is between .5/1 and 1/2.

Just look to good tables and you will see it's the same guys. I moved up from 2/4 a month ago after making surgical strikes. Just make small strikes until you see that - it's all the same. I even jumped to 5/10 and saw . . .it's all the same, just fish with more money. Same dumb plays, same dumb suckouts LOL.

HOWEVER - be warned. I made $1000 in 1 week in 3/6 and then 2 weeks later lost $600 (110BBs) in a bad beat streak.

$$ goes up and down MUCH faster [img]/images/graemlins/shocked.gif[/img]

Grinderswarehouse - NOT just another BLOG
Old 07-06-2005, 07:54 AM

Less bad players, less mistakes, more aggression. Flops are usually heads up or 3 way. Table selection and position become much more important. Fold more in early position and in the SB. Start with fewer tables. Re-read SSHE and study short handed play and NL.
Old 07-06-2005, 09:10 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Re-read SSHE and study short handed play and NL.

[/ QUOTE ]

Why NL?
Old 07-06-2005, 09:51 AM

I too am curious on why you recomend to study up on NL.

BTW, I am a much more experienced NL player than limit, I have only just started to play limit becuase I am trying to round out my whole poker game, not just NL MTT. I was suprised to find out how easy and terrible some of these folks are at this limit.
Old 07-07-2005, 03:20 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I too am curious on why you recomend to study up on NL.

BTW, I am a much more experienced NL player than limit, I have only just started to play limit becuase I am trying to round out my whole poker game, not just NL MTT. I was suprised to find out how easy and terrible some of these folks are at this limit.

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm the opposite. I been focusing on limit for a while now. I just started giving NL another shot and I can't believe I ever stopped playing it. Like you said, playing other games helps round out your skills.
Old 07-07-2005, 03:34 AM

The jump from 2-4 to 3-6 is a big one, imho. Far fewer chasers at 3-6, and much less passive. It's where most of the multitabling SS TAGs hang out (or used to be until 6 max destroyed the game).

3-6 to 5-10 is another pretty big skill jump. There are many loose/tight players at 5-10, which makes it a big more dangerous. By this I mean that they are reasonably loose preflop, but tighten way up after the flop. Essentially, you get a lot of shots taken at your good hands at 5-10, and can expect some weird suckouts. 5-10 short is just a gong show of LAG insanity much of the time, but they are mostly thinking LAGs.

I have played some higher games, and it pretty much goes like that on up. The postflop skills get much better, even if there are still loose players preflop. Tricky plays are tried more often, but they tend to be tried when they have a good chance of working (raising a straight draw someone picked up on the turn on a scary board, for example). Up to 3-6, you have to get progressively more purely aggressive to keep winning. From 5-10 on up, you must work on selective aggression.

Just my 2 cents.

~ Tilts
Old 07-07-2005, 04:05 AM

In my experience, the difference between 2-4 and 3-6 is noticeable but nothing spectacular; if you're beating 2-4 you will likely continue to beat 3-6. From 3-6 to 5-10 is along the same lines. Try out 3-6, and if it's going well and the roll supports it, move to 5-10.