Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-17-2005, 09:10 AM

Default KJs gets capped preflop and flops OESD

I'm struggling with 2/4 and am 20BB down after 5k hands (I know, not enough hands etc...) and would welcome comments on this hand.

Party Poker 2/4 Hold'em (9 handed) converter

Early in my session and no reads on opponents. I have seen some heavy betting preflop on the table, but not from CO (of course) or Button. After <10 hands Button is no maniac.

Preflop: Hero is MP3 with J[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], K[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]. CO posts a blind of $2.
<font color="#666666">4 folds</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises</font>, <font color="#CC3333">CO (poster) 3-bets</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Button caps</font>, <font color="#666666">2 folds</font>, Hero calls, CO calls.

Pretty straightforward raise with KJs in late position. I decide to call when it comes back to me capped. CO might suspect a steal, but Button must have a good hand.

Should I fold when it comes back to me?

Flop: (13.50 SB) Q[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], T[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], 2[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">Hero bets</font>, <font color="#CC3333">CO raises</font>, Button calls, Hero calls.

Pretty good flop, but no diamonds. The open ended straight draw gives me eight outs to the nuts. Is it too aggressive to bet out here?

Turn: (9.75 BB) K[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
Hero checks, <font color="#CC3333">CO bets</font>, Button calls, Hero calls.

Hit TP, but I'm unsure about my kicker. Button might very well have AK given his actions so far.

River: (12.75 BB) 3[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
Hero checks, CO checks, <font color="#CC3333">Button bets</font>, Hero calls, CO calls.

And a blank on the river. Correct to call down in a 14 BB pot, right? Even with two opponents?

Final Pot: 15.75 BB
Old 06-17-2005, 09:33 AM

Default Re: KJs gets capped preflop and flops OESD

Fold this when it gets back to you preflop. KJs is just too weak to play here.

Postflop play is fine, even though it looks like button has AK. This is why you should've folded preflop [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]
Old 06-17-2005, 12:27 PM

nothing wrong with the PF raise, but CO and Button probably aren't thinking that you're stealing here and probably aren't trying to resteal. One of them is ahead of you, both very well might be, and theres a good chance that you're dominated by one of them. Folding when it comes back to you for 2 more is the right play.

Leading the flop with the OESD to the nuts is solid. I'm curious what others say about the turn play. I think that you have to call the river here (though I'm a bit worried about CO maybe firing in a c/r which would suck). Your K only has to be good 1 time in 15 with the pot that big ... but it won't be good much more than that.

&lt;10 hands on a villain = NO READ AT ALL! unless he's folded all 10 hands (then you can read him to at least be selective PF and you have to give a little more credit to his bets/raises) OR you've seen something that stands out (say, capping a multiway pot with A4s from MP or cold-calling 3 bets PF with KTo {saw this 2 nights ago}).

Keep in mind that often the "why" is as important as the "what".

hope this one worked out for you?
ThisHo
Old 06-17-2005, 12:29 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Fold this when it gets back to you preflop. KJs is just too weak to play here. Postflop play is fine, even though it looks like button has AK. This is why you should've folded preflop [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]
Horrible.
Old 06-17-2005, 12:29 PM

Easy fold preflop, you put yourself in the very tough situation. I find these hands cost me the most.
Old 06-17-2005, 12:32 PM

How can you suggest that a PF fold is correct and then go on to say that Hero should be calling the river. [img]/images/graemlins/confused.gif[/img]
Old 06-17-2005, 03:47 PM

[ QUOTE ]
nothing wrong with the PF raise, but CO and Button probably aren't thinking that you're stealing here and probably aren't trying to resteal.

[/ QUOTE ]

Since CO posted a blind, my thoughts were that he might think I'm stealing. Once BB caps, I realise that at least one of them has got a hand.

[ QUOTE ]
hope this one worked out for you?

[/ QUOTE ]

Not this time. I had CO beat, but not Button. I'll post their actual hands later if anyone still cares.
Old 06-17-2005, 04:08 PM

Agree with Crunch. You should of folded preflop. Your hand is just to susceptable and you have to cold-call to see the flop.
Old 06-17-2005, 04:39 PM

Getting over 5:1 this is an easy preflop call.

You're not beating too many hands by the river IMO, just JJ, AQ, or an unlikely AT. But getting 14:1 on the river, I'm calling.
Old 06-17-2005, 04:39 PM

9:2 (more likely 10:2) -- fold preflop with a strong drawing hand...are you all kidding?

Flop is check/call -- you're not folding anybody, and you have about break even equity. The rest looks fine.