Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > Beginners Questions
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-06-2005, 06:43 PM

Default boats

just a question about terminology.
two pair would be aces up, or aces over queens, right?
so you can't say an aces full of queens boat is aces over queens too, right? yet i hear this quite a bit and it makes me wonder. it's obviously called "full" house, and not "over" house.
i can only think that people mistakenly say a two pair is over instead of saying aces and queens
Old 09-06-2005, 08:40 PM

Default Re: boats

Unfortunately it is in fact commonly said both ways. Personally, I think Aces over should always mean two pair with a boat always being Aces full, but that's just not the way it is. When you hear someone say Aces over Queens they could be talking about a full house or two pair.
Old 09-06-2005, 11:06 PM

While it doesn't make total sense..."Aces full of Queens" and "Aces over Queens" mean the same thing...a full house: AAAQQ. It's the rank of the 3-of-a-kind portion of the boat, not necessarily the higher rank. so 666AA would be "6's over A's".

Meanwhile, for two pair, the terms are "Up" or "and". So, AAQQ is "Aces up" or " Aces and Queens".

I think maybe once or twice I've heard "over" in relation to a full house rather than 2 pair (i.e., AAQQ = "Aces over Queens"). So I guess it's out there, but pretty rare, and I wouldn't say it's common, widely-accepted/understood terminology.

I know this is an elementary statement of the obvious, but I'll go ahead and say that when there's 2 boats at showdown, then it's the rank of the competing 3-of-a-kind components of those boats which determines the winner. So... 99966 beats 666AA. 99.99% of you will say "well, duh, everybody knows that." I would say the same thing, except I've seen actual cases where everybody DIDN'T know that...made for a rather heated scene at the showdown.
Old 09-07-2005, 01:52 AM

[ QUOTE ]
While it doesn't make total sense..."Aces full of Queens" and "Aces over Queens" mean the same thing...a full house: AAAQQ.

[/ QUOTE ]

This is simply not so. We went round and round about this a few months back, and the best examples anyone could come up with was software that says, "Full house: Aces over queens". But that's entirely different, because the first two words clearly indicate it's a full house so the preposition isn't important.

I'm quite confident that if you declare your hand as "aces over queens", at least 9 of 10 poker players will expect to see two pair, not a full house. Occasionally your five-outer-twice comes in, and occasionally I run into someone on these threads who insists that "aces over" or "aces over queens" is a legitimate term for a full house. I consider that to be extremely non-standard, hence wrong.

[ QUOTE ]
I think maybe once or twice I've heard "over" in relation to a full house rather than 2 pair (i.e., AAQQ = "Aces over Queens"). So I guess it's out there, but pretty rare, and I wouldn't say it's common, widely-accepted/understood terminology.

[/ QUOTE ]

Well, I agree with this -- it's much rarer for a full house than for two pair. So aren't you contradicting what you said in your first paragraph?
Old 09-07-2005, 08:44 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I'm quite confident that if you declare your hand as "aces over queens", at least 9 of 10 poker players will expect to see two pair, not a full house. Occasionally your five-outer-twice comes in, and occasionally I run into someone on these threads who insists that "aces over" or "aces over queens" is a legitimate term for a full house. I consider that to be extremely non-standard, hence wrong.

[/ QUOTE ]

I wish this were true. I hear it a lot by dealers and players alike both at my local cardroom and on television. [img]/images/graemlins/frown.gif[/img] I don't think it's legitimate either, but it's definitely not extremely non-standard.
Old 09-07-2005, 05:27 PM

people say it so get used to it. if your not retarded you'll know what they are talking about as they show you thier trips+a pair hand
Old 09-07-2005, 06:01 PM

i believe matt damon even referred to it as 9s over aces in the beginning, and i've even heard by the ESPN commentators, and seen it on in poker literature. someone needs to set the record straight, because i can imagine a huge misunderstanding arising. it's basically miscalling your hand. i know in most cases the cards speak, but some would muck if they thought they were up against a boat.
Old 09-07-2005, 11:32 PM

Default Maybe my experience is too small a sample.....

It occurred to me where this may have entered the language.

I recently checked the original Super/System out of the library. Along with its odd bolding, and the Fact that nearly every Noun is capitalized just like German, it has some old poker language that I find interesting. And for a Full House, quite often they seem to use the terminology "Aces full over Queens."

So perhaps over time some people streamlined this to the logical "aces full of queens," while others lamentably dropped the "full" part.