Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Medium-Stakes Pot-, No-Limit Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-08-2005, 07:31 PM

Default Re: How to counter a continuation bet?

Do you have any reads on your opponent? That I think is a big part of this - if he's fishy enough to call your lead with overcards, this may not be a good play. Furthermore if he's likely to call a C/R with an overpair, that's not a good play either.

I assume you lead out here with a J - I know I do - so I'd lead out. Shutting down the turn is obvious, and if he bets he's probably got a J, otherwise he has to fear you have one. What you do on the river becomes very difficult - leading seems foolish, but you could throw out a blocking bet (something I despise) or check call, depending on the size of the bet and the opponent.

Or just hit the underfull on the turn.
Old 12-08-2005, 08:09 PM

You can call...

-SmileyEH
Old 12-08-2005, 08:12 PM

[ QUOTE ]
You can call...

-Mr SuperSTAR

[/ QUOTE ]
Old 12-08-2005, 08:30 PM

I think in general you want to take this down right here, so you don't need to guess if an overcard hits him. Against a standard fish, i think this is one of the few times i like a check raise here (and a pot sized one at that).

The problem is if he calls, you are then somewhat committed to betting the turn (even if a scare card comes), such that if he comes over the top on the turn, this costs you a lot of money.

So before I make this play, I like to be pretty sure this isn't one of those people who will always call when they are check-raised. In that case, at least you can be pretty sure you are behind if he calls, and give up on the turn.
Old 12-08-2005, 08:45 PM

your available tools are:

1. lead
2. check/call - lead turn
3. check raise
4. check/fold

your best bet is a balanced attack
Old 12-08-2005, 08:46 PM

problem with a checkraise here on literally a drawless board gets villian to think why'd you'd CR here. He'd deduce that you've got a 4 or small pair type variety. He'd pop you a decent amount that would be tough for you to call
Old 12-09-2005, 12:30 AM

[ QUOTE ]
problem with a checkraise here on literally a drawless board gets villian to think why'd you'd CR here. He'd deduce that you've got a 4 or small pair type variety. He'd pop you a decent amount that would be tough for you to call

[/ QUOTE ]

Do players really do this at the $200? I generally fastplay and try to check/raise in these situations to make the other player think I don't have a J; rarely do I ever get action, and usually it's from the case J.
Old 12-09-2005, 01:16 AM

[ QUOTE ]
your available tools are:

1. lead
2. check/call - lead turn
3. check raise
4. check/fold

your best bet is a balanced attack

[/ QUOTE ]

Yup. Mix it up. Check/fold is obviously the default but a few times each session, based on player reads and table dynamics (i.e. how tight I've been playing etc) I'll do one of these other things.

If he's a LAG I'd be less likely to lead into him because sometimes that just repop it because they'll immediatly assume you are FOS for leading into them (so do this with sets).