Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > Multi-table Tournaments

Old 12-27-2005, 01:53 PM

Default Big stack poker in the BB

I found myself as the chip leader in a small buyin tourney, sitting on a stack of 25k, when the avg. was 12k. 40 made the money, we had like 100 left or something. The blinds were something like 300-600, or 4-8. I was in the BB with JJ and faced three limpers who all had less than 7k. I pushed, which i think is the right play. Next orbit, I found myself in the same position. 2-3 limpers all with less than 5k this time. im in the BB; this time i had ATo. I pushed over the top. This got me thinking.

Dont get me wrong, i was very comfortable playing postflop in this tourney, but i was picking up pretty nice money this way. So... my question is, being in the BB, with limpers that cannot really hurt your stack, is this an any- two situation to push, generally?
Old 12-27-2005, 03:47 PM

Default Re: Big stack poker in the BB

5k doesn't hurt? Thats almost 20% of your stack and it makes that opponent that much more of a threat you would be less willing to battle it with as it would then just about halve your stack to lose to them all in again.
Old 12-27-2005, 04:42 PM

The JJ push is great.

The A10 push is horrible.
Old 12-27-2005, 04:46 PM

What do you think the donkeys are thinking when they limp on a short stack? Sometimes, it is, "I'd like to see a cheap flop, but I'll fold to a raise." Often, however, it is more like, "Finally, a good hand. But damn, I don't want to bust out before the money! I better just limp, and then if the flop is scary I can get out." In the latter case, the donkey cannot be pushed off of her hand pre-flop, but will gladly fold AK if rags flop, considering herself clever for avoiding a near bustout. I like to lead out any flop against this kind of donkey.
Old 12-27-2005, 04:49 PM

i like both pushes. but it depends how low the buyin is, and how often they had been limping.

If you hadn't seen them limping much, i'd still psuh the JJ but probably check the AT.
Old 12-27-2005, 04:52 PM

[ QUOTE ]
The JJ push is great.

The A10 push is horrible.

[/ QUOTE ]

for the AT i had like 33k at this point, and every stack i put in had between 4k and 6k. still horrible? I was pretty sure i wasnt going to get called, and i didnt. 2nd in the tourney was like 10k behind me. I only did it in these two instances, bc soon i lost with AA to 66 getting it all in preflop and got knocked out of the stratosphere a little. but that blind stealing cushioned the blow a little.
Old 12-27-2005, 05:03 PM

I like both pushes.

You can push with any two. It is even in "The book of Bluffs". However, if you push every time, you are going to get called and people will limp with big pairs and such.
Old 12-27-2005, 05:10 PM

yea, i'd stay away from pushing any two, because i think if you get a call it's probably gonna be from a mid pair or something. so, i'd want two broadway cards to do this. (But i'm a pussy, so i probably only do this w/ AT or better)