Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Other Topics > Politics

Old 12-26-2005, 02:17 PM

Default Did Arnie Really Deserve This?

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20051226/...schwarzenegger
Old 12-26-2005, 02:56 PM

Default Re: Did Arnie Really Deserve This?

They'd be hypocrites to continue honouring a man whose beliefs run contrary to their own. Most Western Europeans feel very strongly that the death penalty is barbaric and wrong. This isn't a trivial matter for them.
Old 12-26-2005, 03:48 PM

I think it was much because the last execution was of a black man. Most Austrians and Germans are very eager to show that they are not racist (could be connected to a history indicating otherwise, I guess [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]).
Old 12-26-2005, 03:53 PM

Does it really matter that he was black?

Would it have been more humane if he was white?
Old 12-26-2005, 03:56 PM

No, it does not matter for me. However, it is a common belief in Western Europe that the American justice system is racistic and that black men are executed for crimes whites wouldn't, that makes it tough for Austrians to be associated with him.
Old 12-26-2005, 03:59 PM

He is governor of a state were the practice has popular support (im basing this on the fact that they still have it). Are all of his accomplishments in life null and void because his views reflect those of the people he governs. Or because he follows the law of this state. It seems harsh.

We get yelled at when we tell any other culture what they are doing is wrong no matter how repulsive it is, but its ok to criticize other peoples cultures if it's America your criticizing.
Old 12-26-2005, 04:14 PM

[ QUOTE ]
He is governor of a state were the practice has popular support (im basing this on the fact that they still have it). Are all of his accomplishments in life null and void because his views reflect those of the people he governs. Or because he follows the law of this state. It seems harsh.

[/ QUOTE ]

I agree it is silly to blame him for the executions. California is a democracy. This whole issue is a symbolic one. They are showing that they disagree with the policy executed by him.

[ QUOTE ]

We get yelled at when we tell any other culture what they are doing is wrong no matter how repulsive it is, but its ok to criticize other peoples cultures if it's America your criticizing.

[/ QUOTE ]

This is a false assumption. If he would become president of Iceland and do the same, the same criticism would arise. But, the US and Western Europe used to be portrayed as sharing common beliefs. We do not, the perspective on the most fundamental issues are different. When discussing politics/philosophy with i.e. Thais or Africans, Western Europeans have more in common with them than with Americans. It is like a love relationship where the love is gone, but the breakup is still painful and thus creates some frustration (as this episode).
Old 12-26-2005, 04:47 PM

Note to self: if you're going to commit murder, do it in Austria.
Old 12-26-2005, 04:59 PM

You guys have a lot of strange misconceptions about the American justice system. A lot of black men go to jail, but a lot of black men also committ crimes. What are we suppose to do, not arrest them because they are black?
Old 12-26-2005, 05:01 PM

[ QUOTE ]
You guys have a lot of strange misconceptions about the American justice system. A lot of black men go to jail, but a lot of black men also committ crimes. What are we suppose to do, not arrest them because they are black?

[/ QUOTE ]

I have not looked into it enough to know if it is racist or not, I am just quite sure that if you would conduct a poll here a majority would say yes.