Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Other Topics > Science, Math, and Philosophy
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-19-2005, 04:15 AM

Default Re: The best odds for/against god

your born
your procreate
you become fertlizer
Old 12-19-2005, 05:06 AM

I think it is Tom Robbins in "Even Cowgirls Get The Blues" that has a character quoted as saying that humans were an invention of water to move itself around.

Better, I guess, that my unforgeteable teacher at my first year junior High school who was used to say that we were just ambulant tubes full of s**t.

[img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
Old 12-19-2005, 05:17 AM

Great quotes, and I agree with your teacher. In almost every sense, we're just big worms. Our body is built around a digestive tract that evolved a few appendages for land based movement and reproduction. Remove a few lobes of the brain and that's precisely what we are.
Old 12-19-2005, 05:19 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Great quotes, and I agree with your teacher. In almost every sense, we're just big worms. Our body is built around a digestive tract that evolved a few appendages for land based movement and reproduction. Remove a few lobes of the brain and that's precisely what we are.

[/ QUOTE ]
Is it just you australians?

chez
Old 12-19-2005, 05:26 AM

chez,

Tom Robbins is a US writer. My teacher was belgian and, by the way, a very committed christian. Altough I believe he got fired from the school later beacuse his christianity was too left leaning for the taste of the authorities. But he was one of the few unforgetable teachers I was fortunate in having.

Regarding australians, well yes... but we are not racist here (altough it doesn't appear so from the current news), we think we are all the same regardless of our origins [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

Cheers

MidGe
Old 12-19-2005, 05:32 AM

[ QUOTE ]
chez,

Tom Robbins is a US writer. My teacher was belgian and, by the way, a very committed christian. Altough I believe he got fired from the school later beacuse his christianity was too left leaning for the taste of the authorities. But he was one of the few unforgetable teachers I was fortunate in having.

Regarding australians, well yes... but we are not racist here (altough it doesn't appear so from the current news), we think we are all the same regardless of our origins [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

Cheers

MidGe

[/ QUOTE ]
and I was going to bet your teacher was a Pom. [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

chez
Old 12-19-2005, 07:22 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Is it just you australians? chez

[/ QUOTE ]
Anatomy 101 chez.

And midge...speak for yourself. I definitely believe some races and cultures are superior to others, and trying to include these apes and cavemen in civilized caucasian society is the worst idea we've ever had. But that's another thread (and forum).
Old 12-19-2005, 03:35 PM

[ QUOTE ]
First of all there is a god or supreame "thing" that we call god. If you dont belive in a something bigger than ourselfs you are backwards, everything did not come from nothing.

[/ QUOTE ]

Stranger, you sound very intelligent - NOT.
Old 12-19-2005, 08:59 PM

[ QUOTE ]
You'd get an even better payoff if you assume that you can live a life of hedonism and pure selfishness and that there is a divine being who will reward such behavior with eternal bliss.

[/ QUOTE ]
Good info here.
Old 12-20-2005, 01:38 AM

I think you need to do yourself some serious thinking, then you wont even begin to know what intellegent means.