Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Other Poker > Other Poker Games
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-10-2005, 04:36 AM

Default Quick odds question TD.

I get dealt 86532. With no knowledge of other cards, how often will 27xxx catch up to make a seven by the river?

What about 237? around 40%?
Old 08-10-2005, 11:47 AM

Default Re: Quick odds question TD.

[ QUOTE ]
I get dealt 86532. With no knowledge of other cards, how often will 27xxx catch up to make a seven by the river?

[/ QUOTE ]

I ran 27AQJ through my draw results tool (with 86532 as dead cards); it says there is about 16% chance of making a 7. (There is only a 12% chance if villian will screw up and keep an 8.)

[ QUOTE ]
What about 237? around 40%?

[/ QUOTE ]

About 23%. I tried working this one out by hand using permutations, but I came out with a different answer and realized I'd double-counted. And I'm too lazy to go back and fix my math.
Old 10-07-2005, 11:06 AM

15.87% for the first question, a friend of mine constructed a rough monte carlo simulation, so the 16% is gooooooood./
btw Mark what do you use to calculate that ?
Old 10-07-2005, 11:34 AM

[ QUOTE ]
15.87% for the first question, a friend of mine constructed a rough monte carlo simulation, so the 16% is gooooooood./
btw Mark what do you use to calculate that ?

[/ QUOTE ]

A software tool I wrote myself. It calculates the end result of a draw given some simple constraints (drawing to 7, 8, or a 9). There are some tricks I use to make calculating the exact probability work in a short amount of time (without using monte carlo techniques) but the code doesn't handle potential flushes well at the moment.

I'm working on a version which will calculate hot+cold EV for perfect play (i.e., no betting in later streets, always drawing with knowledge of other players' cards) but I haven't made much progress lately.
Old 10-07-2005, 02:42 PM

that sounds great, my friend wrote some bunch of code in VBA / Excel, it seems robust but not very good in terms of calculus performance, it took 10 minutes to makes 200,000 monte carlo simulations on this hand [img]/images/graemlins/frown.gif[/img]
at least it gives me quite the same results you have [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]