Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > Multi-table Tournaments

Old 12-08-2004, 11:24 PM

Default Card Dead Strategy

This is a bit of a follow-on to a previous post, but a more general question. What do you do when you just go completely card-dead in a tournament. In my case, it was a LHE event and the best cards I got were (in order):
- 9-9 (killed by overcards)
- AQos (missed flop)
- JTs (missed flop)

Everything else was 93os, Q4os, etc.

So whaddya do when you go card dead? This tournament had a relatively small starting stack ($800 with 10/20 starting and blinds raising every 15 min).
Old 12-09-2004, 12:20 AM

Default Re: Card Dead Strategy

All you can do is wait it out. If your stack is getting blinded off, look for spots to steal blinds without giving up your whole stack and pray nobody calls you down. There's really nothing to do but survive and wait for the cards to heat up.
Old 12-09-2004, 12:23 AM

Just read your post again...you are asking about Limit Hold'Em. My reply caters to NL. Sorry for the confusion. I don't play many LHE tournaments so I can't speak intelligently about them.
Old 12-09-2004, 12:59 AM

I find being card-dead a little less of an issue in NLHE since you can usually steal blinds with a decent sized raise even with nothing. Can't pull this off in LHE...at least not as easily. I did it once with A2os and got reraised back. Ended up pairing then hitting the wheel on the river, but it was the only hand I won in that tournament (a tournament I have won in the past).