Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-29-2005, 04:18 PM

Default JJ OOP vs loose passive

Villian is 31/5/0.63

PokerStars 2/4 Hold'em (10 handed) FTR converter on zerodivide.cx

Preflop: Hero is BB with J[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], J[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img].
<font color="#CC3333">UTG raises</font>, <font color="#666666">8 folds</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero 3-bets</font>, <font color="#CC3333">UTG caps</font>, Hero calls.

Flop: (8.50 SB) 6[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], T[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], 4[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
Hero checks, <font color="#CC3333">UTG bets</font>, Hero calls.

Turn: (5.25 BB) 4[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
Hero checks, <font color="#CC3333">UTG bets</font>, Hero calls.

River: (7.25 BB) 2[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">Hero bets</font>, UTG calls.

Final Pot: 9.25 BB

I'm mostly uncertain about preflop.
Old 11-29-2005, 04:23 PM

Default Re: JJ OOP vs loose passive

JJ is like break even from his range UTG. I'd try to find a fold postflop, but I don't know where. I definitely wouldn't bet the river though.
Old 11-29-2005, 04:25 PM

The only reason I can think of for not 3-betting preflop would be if you intend to check/raise a non-A flop. Given that your opponent is passive and you cannot count on him autobetting AK UI on the flop, I don't like that plan.

Assuming that you were folding to a river raise, I like the way you played this hand. Although if your read is over a big sample, a case could be made for check/folding the river after he capped it preflop. Sometimes you just have to pay off, and I believe this is one of those times. I can't think of too many instances where you can fold an overpair for 1 bet in a 2/4, limit game, and I don't believe you should be looking for spots to make "expert" folds like that in limit anyway.
Old 11-29-2005, 04:28 PM

How about ghey betting the turn?
Old 11-29-2005, 04:32 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Although if your read is over a big sample, a case could be made for check/folding the river after he capped it preflop.

[/ QUOTE ]

Why not just fold the flop or turn in this case?
Old 11-29-2005, 04:34 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Interesting... but what does this accomplish? This would limit the number of bets I get from AK (or maybe AQs) and gives me no showdown when I fold to her raise.

FWIW, the stats were probably over 120-150ish hands.
Old 11-29-2005, 05:18 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Interesting... but what does this accomplish? This would limit the number of bets I get from AK (or maybe AQs) and gives me no showdown when I fold to her raise.

FWIW, the stats were probably over 120-150ish hands.

[/ QUOTE ]

If you're going to call the turn you might as well bet yourself. If you're winning you won't give him a free chance, and it's a pretty easy fold if he raises.

I think you're a bigger underdog when you check and call than when you bet and are called, especially against this guy.

I'm also not sure how this limits the number of bets you win from overcards. The way I see it is that it actually increases, because I think if he bets the turn you're boned.
Old 11-29-2005, 05:31 PM

How about just betting the flop? This doesn't look like an opponent that would raise with AK unimproved but would raise AA-QQ. Bet the flop, if called bet the turn. If raised, you can probably fold right there.
Old 11-30-2005, 12:33 PM

[ QUOTE ]
How about just betting the flop? This doesn't look like an opponent that would raise with AK unimproved but would raise AA-QQ. Bet the flop, if called bet the turn. If raised, you can probably fold right there.

[/ QUOTE ]

I actually like this line for minimizing losses, but does this maximize my wins against AK?
Old 11-30-2005, 01:56 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I like pre-flop.

At first I was thinking fold the flop. I just get a gut you're beat here, but that's not reason enough to fold.

Then I began to like the line you actually took.

Then I read this comment, and I think I like this one best.