Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Pot-, No-Limit Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-29-2005, 12:10 AM

Default QQ overcards... coordinated flop

Pacific $10NL, 05/10 blinds

Hero is down to $15
Villain has about $20

Hero is dealt Q[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]Q[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]
limps to hero in MP, raises to $1.50
2 callers

Flop ($5ish):
J[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]9[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]2[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]

Hero leads for $5
MP2 puts me all in
MP3 folds

Hero?

about a $9 call here into about a $20 pot.

(Hero called)
Old 11-29-2005, 12:13 AM

Default results

MP2 shows J9 and wins w/ 2 pair
Old 11-29-2005, 12:13 AM

Default Re: QQ overcards... coordinated flop

Here I would call. You'll get shown all kinds of crap that you're ahead of: flush draws, straight draws, single pairs, single pair backdoor flush draws, single pair backdoor straight draws.

On occasion, you'll get shown a few hands that are ahead of you: two pair, set, OESFD.

Call.
Old 11-29-2005, 12:15 AM

godfather,

Thanks for the replies. You've confirmed what I decided were the right plays AFTER I made them [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

Oh well. Wish just one of them would have worked out.
They happened back-to-back, cleaning out my stack I built up for the last few hours. Stupid KK and QQ.
Old 11-29-2005, 12:19 AM

Don't worry. You made the right play against his range. Do you have poker tracker or some program that can tell you who is aggro and who is passive at the table? Get one. Trust me. It will save you tons of money because some of the low-limiters will not make a significant raise or a significant bet without 2 pair or better. Once you have the numbers at your finger tips, you can play with greater confidence and less nagging worry.
Old 11-29-2005, 12:20 AM

do you realize your raise is 15x the bb here. be agressive with your hands but you are pot sticking youself with these big pairs which isnt totally bad but it inclined you to call when you were ahead and behind with qq and kk, and i know kk was a reraise but 1.5 is too much here. if you like going that high then you have to be prepared to make the call everytime when you lead this flop IMO. tough breaks
Old 11-29-2005, 12:23 AM

At this $10NL table... $1 (10x BB) is pretty much a standard raise for any good hand.

At .50-.75, EVERYONE calls you down...we're talking 6-7 callers at a 9-handed table.
Old 11-29-2005, 12:33 AM

[ QUOTE ]
do you realize your raise is 15x the bb here. be agressive with your hands but you are pot sticking youself with these big pairs which isnt totally bad but it inclined you to call when you were ahead and behind with qq and kk, and i know kk was a reraise but 1.5 is too much here. if you like going that high then you have to be prepared to make the call everytime when you lead this flop IMO. tough breaks

[/ QUOTE ]

I believe you should put in as much money preflop with your premium hands as your opponents are willing to call. I know it sounds weird, but if you play these tables regularly, you'll see that 15xBB really isn't that out of the ordinary.

Perhaps you are more risk averse than I, but at these limits you pump your premium hands for all they are worth preflop. And, you double up more often than not.
Old 11-29-2005, 12:42 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Pacific

[/ QUOTE ]

Say no more. I'm calling.
Old 11-29-2005, 12:43 AM

yes i understand this and there may be several factors why you get lots of calls. i found at all nl games if theres maniacs then you will be called regardless. i like to keep it low enough to make good decisions. dont get me wrong though, ive bet $25 into a .70 cent pot before pre flop because of my image sometimes a big over bet works and it did here because j9 called you, they hit, you pay them off thats all there is to it. this is by no means berating your play at all i dont hate it just way too big of a bet IMO (to do consistently). do you make it 1.5 with ak? how about aj suit? probaly around .45 to a pot sized raise pf id think, which now is giving away your hand. any player with any tracking software can see your big hands how much you raised pf and have a good idea on what you have. make a call with any two cards and if it hits get paid off. im not sure of your betting patterns but make sure its switched up