Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Other Poker > Omaha/8
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-24-2005, 11:17 PM

Default A Hand Post

Here's a hand post and I would like you guys to tell me what you think about the way it was played. But please explain/justify the comments that you make because I am fairly new to omaha/8. But I do understand alot of the poker theory concepts so feel free to use them to add to your justification. (The main problem is that I just don't know how to use what I know at omaha/8 [img]/images/graemlins/smirk.gif[/img]).

Party Poker 0.5/1 Omaha/8 (10 handed) converter

Preflop: Hero is MP3 with 2[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], T[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], A[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], J[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]. Hero posts a blind of $0.5.
<font color="#666666">2 folds</font>, UTG+2 calls, MP1 calls, MP2 calls, Hero (poster) checks, <font color="#666666">3 folds</font>, <font color="#CC3333">BB raises</font>, UTG+2 calls, MP1 calls, MP2 calls, Hero calls.

Flop: (10.50 SB) K[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], 7[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], 9[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(5 players)</font>
BB checks, UTG+2 checks, MP1 checks, MP2 checks, Hero checks.

Turn: (5.25 BB) 3[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(5 players)</font>
BB checks, UTG+2 checks, MP1 checks, <font color="#CC3333">MP2 bets</font>, Hero calls, BB folds, UTG+2 folds, MP1 calls.

River: (8.25 BB) 3[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">MP1 bets</font>, MP2 folds, Hero calls.

Final Pot: 10.25 BB
Old 05-24-2005, 11:34 PM

Default Re: A Hand Post

Well, After the BB raises and everyone calls I would maybe think about making it three bets. You have a pretty good hand. Not everyone would suggest this but its just a thought.

I would bet the flop. You have the net flush draw and a two way straight draw. You also have a back door nut low draw.

Raise the turn! I wouldnt worry about keeping people in the pot when you are playing low limits. If they are calling for one bet they will probably call for two.

Raise the river river. Just calling the river is fine I guess. I would raise and just call a three bet though.

You should play more aggresive poker on almost every street though! GL
Old 05-24-2005, 11:35 PM

On the flop you've got the nut flush draw, a double gutshot to the nut straight, and the nut backdoor low. Giving the 2 outs to the low gregery recomends I'd bet at that flop.

On the turn definitly raise. You want to give people bad odds to fill up and you will be making money off any A2 that calls.
Old 05-25-2005, 12:05 PM

Preflop: I might 3 bet depending on the texture of the table. If you 3 bet BB will probably cap and almost everyone will call. This is going to be a +EV play but also increase your variance.

Flop: Bet. You have enough values in all of your draws that you should bet. Also if you bet it will probably check around to you on the turn. If you hit one of your draws you can bet, or if you miss everything you can check.

Turn: Call or raise depending on the table texture. If the players behind you are passive calling stations or if MP2 is a manic I would raise otherwise I would call.

River: Good call, I think that raising would be a very bad play.
- If you call and he has the boat you lose 1 BB.
- If you call and he doesn’t gave the boat you gain 1BB.
- If you raise and he has the boat he will most likely re-raise and you are going to loose 3BB.
- If you raise and he doesn’t have the boat you will win 2BB.

Also since the flop was checked around it is more likely that someone has the 3. MP2 has been very passive so far and then on the river he wakes up and bets in the previous round better. Looks like K3 (maybe even 73, 93) to me.

Overall it looks like you played this hand very passively. You have a very strong hand on all street so make less strong hands pay to play with you.
Old 05-25-2005, 02:47 PM

Preflop: Check is fine, raise is ok too, and I might err on side of raising here. There are a couple of differences between this hand and the other one you posted that make raising potentially a better play here. 1) You could buy position by a raise here. In the other one, you are the button so already have position, 2) your hand is significantly stronger. AJT2 can make straights with KQx, Q98, 987 which is maybe 15 combinations. AT72 needs 98J or 986, or two basic combinations. AJT will also make better trips/boats.

Flop: Bet, you have 3 low outs, 8 nutflush outs, and 3 add’ nut straight outs for 14 outs. So half the time by the river you’ll have the nuts. You have excellent equity so a bet is mandatory.

Turn: Raise. Two issues: 1) You are not letting some hands make a mistake here: If MP1 has A26 for example then he is not making a mistake to call here. If he has 77xx then you’re giving him a cheap chance to bust you. 2) You are not letting some hands make a big mistake. A bare A2 or two pair is making a mistake to call 1 bet, but would likely call 2 bets.

River: call and pay off. Raising is horrible. He’ll have trips enough to make it worthwhile

--Greg