Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Pot-, No-Limit Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-07-2005, 03:09 AM

Default 2/5 120BB TPTK; Stole this one from the TV box

I've been playing very fast. villain is pretty good, but has weak/tight problems.

villain covers me, i have 600 and AsKd

Villain opens in mp to $30, folded to me on BB, I call.

Ad6c5c

I check to him, he bets 60, i push for $510 more

fim
Old 07-07-2005, 03:38 AM

Default Re: 2/5 120BB TPTK; Stole this one from the TV box

Ok, kind of obvious..

Your very possibly getting AK to fold and other hands you beat, does he open with a small PP in MP?

If so this move is just plain stupid, if not then I still don't like the odd's he isn't holding AA. Obviously more times than not your going to take down this pot uncontested, but is it really worth it?

I think there are cheaper ways to get away from a set here, not 100% sure if stealing from AK makes this good.
Old 07-07-2005, 03:46 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I've been playing very fast. villain is pretty good, but has weak/tight problems.

villain covers me, i have 600 and AsKd

Villain opens in mp to $30, folded to me on BB, I call.

Ad6c5c

I check to him, he bets 60, i push for $510 more

fim

[/ QUOTE ]

This is bad. He will call with a set and exactly AcKc, and fold everything else. You're essentially putting a call option on your stack--i.e, this move works every time but once, when you get freerolled and lose big. No good.

The Doc
Old 07-07-2005, 04:41 AM

[ QUOTE ]
but has weak/tight problems.

[/ QUOTE ]

"therefore, i decided putting villain to a decision for 110 BB in a 25BB pot would be the best way to get action from him. FWIW all i have is TPTK, and i am trying to represent a draw. "

huh?
Old 07-07-2005, 05:48 AM

i dont like this line.

you say he's weak/tight, what does that mean he's calling with? not very much. imo this play would be better against a loose idiot who may call with AQ, etc. i would also much prefer to have a club in my hand.

this is a drawish board. if you check call this flop he can't put you specifically on an ace. ESPECIALLY AK.
Old 07-07-2005, 06:13 AM

Ok, I'm going to kind of disagree with everyone else here. If he has a set, you're going broke anyway, so this line knocks out a split. He's not going to put in any more money with KK or weaker, and it may not be too likely that he's holding AQ.
Old 07-07-2005, 06:22 AM

I think one of the most important aspects of the hand is that it's very unlikely that fim does not hold the best hand (or a chop). If the flop is AQ9 that's no longer true.
Old 07-07-2005, 07:18 AM

Default hmmmmmmmm

so nobody sees this as a high-variance, big +EV value bet? that's what i thought it was.

fim
Old 07-07-2005, 07:25 AM

Default Re: hmmmmmmmm

Your read is far too vague for us to make that determination. Somewhere recently I read a nice quote... "weak players always belive that you have it." If this guy is too scared to put all his chips in without a monster then there's not much value here. Except to steal half of a split pot sometimes.

But if that's not what you meant by weak-tight then it's different. If he'll put you on a draw and call with an ace then great... but when you give us one hand in a vacuum we can't really figure out those types of things.
Old 07-07-2005, 08:33 AM

Default Re: hmmmmmmmm

[ QUOTE ]
so nobody sees this as a high-variance, big +EV value bet? that's what i thought it was.

fim

[/ QUOTE ]
I think the important point about him being w/t is that you aren't going to make a lot off him with a normal line. Let's say that on average you make another 100 off him with a more normal line. Well, he only needs to call the 500 overbet 20% of the time for it to be breakeven. You've been playing very fast. You know that he's w/t which probably means he has made folds to you in the past (or at least to other people often) so he may think you're just trying to run him over. The board is draw heavy. Will he call 1/5? I don't know, but I definitely think it's close.