Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Internet Gambling > Internet Gambling
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-25-2005, 11:12 PM

Default Re: Percentage of Online Winners, Revisited Yet Again

I don't know, but I rate your icon a 10!
Old 04-25-2005, 11:32 PM

I believe Multipoker stated that 10% of all players are long term winners and 20% of swedish are. Damn, they got thos hot chicks and spend all that time in front of their computers.
Old 04-26-2005, 12:54 AM

[ QUOTE ]
You weren't paying attention. I said 40% was a reliable estimate of the "winning" players in a PT database, where winning only means being up for a short span of hands. Or have you found that only 5% of the player in your PT are + $?

[/ QUOTE ]

my (smallish) PT database:

players who have won money: 37.7%
hands dealt to players who have won money: 51.9%

That second number is somewhat skewed since 11% of those hands were dealt to one person (me), but even without me it's at 46%. I think that number more accurately answers the question of "at a random table how many people are winning and how many losing?".
Old 04-26-2005, 01:31 AM

[ QUOTE ]
You say the definition isn't that important to you but let's take your question as an example of why a precise definition is absolutely required. You say "What I really want to know is if I sit down at an average table, how many people in the game with me are winning players?" I assume you mean +EV vs -EV players since you want to know how many fish there are. So here are the players at your table:

[/ QUOTE ]

Also, there's a major distinction between someone being a "+EV" player in that he's odds on to win in the long run *in the games he plays* and a +EV player at a given table, where you've put certain people together.

For instance, I believe I'm a +EV player in the games I usually play (at least my results have been positive overall), but if you sit me down at a table with nine bigtime pros, then I'm surely -EV for that situation. Against the usual crowd in an average low-stakes game on Party, I'm a reasonably good player. Against Johnny Chan, Phil Ivey, etc, I'm a very large fish.
Old 04-26-2005, 01:35 AM

If someone joined all the pokersites on bonuswhores and just hopped from site to site to clear reloads, they could be playing slighty -EV poker, but turn a nice profit overall due to the bonues.