Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > Multi-table Tournaments
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-26-2005, 11:51 AM

Default Won trip to Monte Carlo....Now how do I win it?

Hi all,

I won an FPP satellite and will be going to Monte Carlo
in March. I am really, really psyched up for it!!

My problem is that I have virtually NO experience playing cards in a live B+M cardroom. I've played some low-stakes home games (against very weak opposition), and once I played 2-4 No Limit ring at the Bellagio in AC...but other than that NADA! I've played for about year on PokerStars and have been modestly successful at low stakes NL, sit and go's, and satellites.

I'd like everyones advice on how I can prepare for Monte Carlo during the next six weeks. What would be your ideal "training program"? What should I study ( TOP and TPFAP are on the top of list)? How do I prepare myself for "live" play working on my own? I live in an isolated part of Andalucia ("el culo de espaņa") so there is no way that I can get to a live cardroom between now and gametime.

What else can I do to prepare?

Thanks for your advice,

Jonathan
Old 01-26-2005, 12:58 PM

Default Re: Won trip to Monte Carlo....Now how do I win it?

Congratulations.

Reread all the best tourney stuff.

Also, realize that this is your first foray into live poker, so don't have unreasonable expectations. Try to enjoy yourself.

If you can somehow concoct a method by which you can avoid being uncomfortably nervous, this would probably be your biggest asset. They're just chips, etc.

Scotch, maybe?

Good luck!
Old 01-26-2005, 01:08 PM

Congratulations, that's awesome!

I just recently played my 1st B&M tournament (okay, so it was only 40 bucks, not exactly Monte Carlo, but still). I was nervous for about the 1st 5 hands - stupid stuff like being afraid I'd accidentally flip over my cards when mucking, making some gross violation of table etiquette, assuming all these B&M players must be sharks, etc. But after that I got in the flow it felt like another tournament. In fact, I found playing a live tourney to be much more fun than online.

About half of Championship NL and PL Holdem is dedicated to NL tournaments and I've found it helpful. I've heard lots of good things about Harrington on Holdem too, although I haven't gotten my copy yet.

Either way, you're already a winner so enjoy! Good luck and give us a trip report when you get back!
Old 01-26-2005, 01:18 PM

The butt of Spain?? [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

Go over there and represent. Bust those Frenchies up.
Old 01-26-2005, 01:57 PM

On which site did you win this trip?
Old 01-26-2005, 03:05 PM

As long as your not completely nervous live tourneys dont play that much different than the online ones. I probably would try to avoid looking for tells or anything just try to judge people's styles (which players you could possibly bluff, how loose they are etc.) In that respect the pokerstars tourneys probably like 50 or 100 dollar buy in non rebuy ones might be good.
Just curious if you win the tourney does it include airfare or hotel or anything like that?
Old 01-26-2005, 03:58 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Congratulations.

Also, realize that this is your first foray into live poker, so don't have unreasonable expectations. Try to enjoy yourself.

If you can somehow concoct a method by which you can avoid being uncomfortably nervous, this would probably be your biggest asset. They're just chips, etc.

Scotch, maybe?

Good luck!

[/ QUOTE ]

You mean I shouldn't expect to walk away with first? [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

Your advice about relaxing sounds good, although i don't think that scotch would do it for me. I am watching my diet and going to the gym every day.

For relaxation, instead of scotch perhaps a 22 year old blonde from the French Riviera would do the trick?

Thanks for the advice,
Jonathan
Old 01-26-2005, 04:02 PM

I ordered the Harrington book, along with Sklansky's TPFAP and Ed Miller's book last week. I'm hoping they will arrive without too much problem within a month, but its always a pleasant surprise if something you order from the US ACTUALLY ARRIVES!

Jonathan
Old 01-26-2005, 04:04 PM

[ QUOTE ]
On which site did you win this trip?

[/ QUOTE ]
PokerStars....6000 FPP buy-in, top two finishers place.
Old 01-26-2005, 04:15 PM

[ QUOTE ]
As long as your not completely nervous live tourneys dont play that much different than the online ones. I probably would try to avoid looking for tells or anything just try to judge people's styles (which players you could possibly bluff, how loose they are etc.) In that respect the pokerstars tourneys probably like 50 or 100 dollar buy in non rebuy ones might be good.
Just curious if you win the tourney does it include airfare or hotel or anything like that?

[/ QUOTE ]

Sammy, tells is the one thing that really concerned me. Not so much finding tells in others, but what can I do to keep from emitting tells myself? For example should I wear shades? Should I adopt a specific posture every time I bet-
for example, avoiding eye contact with the opponent, or perhaps the opposite, staring directly at the opponent?

I noticed that Moneymaker seemed to do this in the footage that I saw, and it looked rather effective.

The prize package consists of:
1. 10,000 euro ($13,000) entry fee to tourney
2. 5 nights hotel accomodations at about $550 night (classy place)
3. $1500 for travel and expenses.

One thing I like about PokerStars is that they are not chintzy with the hotel and expenses. Its a generous package I feel, completely first class.

Suerte,
Jonathan