Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > Poker Beats, Brags, and Variance
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-30-2005, 02:43 PM

Default 7.4 Earthquake?

If I go on a 600 bet upswing I'm quitting poker at the peak. [img]/images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img]

Krishan
Old 11-30-2005, 02:47 PM

Default Re: 7.4 Earthquake?

move the scale to 1000bbs up and down and it will look like you're breaking even with some ups and downs.

i can't imagine going on a 62k hand losing run, so i assume you might want to look at your play. it seem s you play a VERY high variance style and are likely a break even player. the latter swings on the graph are indicative of higher variance style play as you get frustrated and look to push smaller and smaller edges close to -EV decisions (note: pushing -EV but close to 0 situations increases variance a lot so your high variance style may be pushing the wrong decisions or the right ones but the results could be the same either way)

Barron
Old 11-30-2005, 02:56 PM

Barron,

Thanks for the thoughtful response. I respect you are a player and am grateful for your opinions.

[ QUOTE ]
i can't imagine going on a 62k hand losing run, so i assume you might want to look at your play.

[/ QUOTE ]

I look at my play every day. I doesn't matter how I run, I'm always working on my game.

[ QUOTE ]
it seem s you play a VERY high variance style and are likely a break even player. the latter swings on the graph are indicative of higher variance style play as you get frustrated and look to push smaller and smaller edges close to -EV decisions (note: pushing -EV but close to 0 situations increases variance a lot so your high variance style may be pushing the wrong decisions or the right ones but the results could be the same either way)

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm actually pretty conservative. I checked today and my deviation for the month is 16.5. Pretty ordinary. I really doubt that I changing my game is a factor in my downswing. Over the short term it's much more likely that I just got cold cards.

Here is a full graph of 10/20+.

It's not that exciting but helps prove that I'm not just a [censored] player out of my league.

Krishan
Old 11-30-2005, 03:08 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I really doubt that I changing my game is a factor in my downswing. Over the short term it's much more likely that I just got cold cards.

[/ QUOTE ]

This is still a pretty stunning graph. My question would be not whether you changed your game, but whether you started playing in different games. When on the graph did you start playing bigger games than 10/20? 62K breakeven is quite a lot, so it could be possible that you are a substantial winner at 10/20 but not at some of the higher limits. Also did you change the number of tables you play at some point during the graph?
Old 11-30-2005, 03:15 PM

[ QUOTE ]
i can't imagine going on a 62k hand losing run, so i assume you might want to look at your play.

[/ QUOTE ]

After reading this thread, 45k (or 62k) break-even/losing stretches don't phase me. I really believe that most of the time spent in those massive swings is mainly variance-induced.
Old 11-30-2005, 03:23 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
I really doubt that I changing my game is a factor in my downswing. Over the short term it's much more likely that I just got cold cards.

[/ QUOTE ]

This is still a pretty stunning graph. My question would be not whether you changed your game, but whether you started playing in different games. When on the graph did you start playing bigger games than 10/20? 62K breakeven is quite a lot, so it could be possible that you are a substantial winner at 10/20 but not at some of the higher limits. Also did you change the number of tables you play at some point during the graph?

[/ QUOTE ]

Less than 5K above 10/20. 4K of that is 15/30 where I'm running over 3 BB/100.

I always play between 4-6 tables.

Krishan
Old 11-30-2005, 03:28 PM

This picture makes me satisfied to never play another hand of LHE as long as I live.

I'm glad someone else has the fortitude to stick it out though. Good luck!
Old 11-30-2005, 03:36 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

FYP
Old 11-30-2005, 03:56 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Less than 5K above 10/20. 4K of that is 15/30 where I'm running over 3 BB/100.

I always play between 4-6 tables.

[/ QUOTE ]

Wow. Just variance then I guess. [img]/images/graemlins/frown.gif[/img]
Old 11-30-2005, 04:01 PM

[ QUOTE ]
If I go on a 600 bet upswing I'm quitting poker at the peak.

[/ QUOTE ]

actually had a 660bb upswing this month. followed immediately by a 300bb downswing. next time im packin it in for awhile.