Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-25-2005, 07:36 PM

Default I\'m getting canned tomorrow

So I work for a utility company as a financial analysist as a CA (same as CPA). Anyways today i was called in by my supervisor and manager and they told me that they sensed that I did not want to work there - this is somewhat true as we just finished a year long application that involved lots of OT and yea there were a few times where everyone got a bit testy. They wanted to get my feedback on how I felt about the job, etc and I basically was honest and said I like the people but the OT is unappreciated by the higher ups and that there is continual stress and deadlines placed on staff. They said what they wanted to hear was that I liked working there and wanted to build a career there, etc and that they will "have to make a decision" based on this information.

I am pretty sure I'll be canned tomorrow and usually with this they present a severance package and a letter to sign absolving them of anything. Should I sign anything tomorrow?...I always met their deadlines and was never told that I wasn't technically capable, so I feel they have no grounds for dismissing me and that they would be doing this because it will be slow until Spring 2006 and they just want to cleanhouse. What should I do when presented this package? I think I could sue their asses for wrongul dismissal.
Old 10-25-2005, 07:38 PM

Default Re: I\'m getting canned tomorrow

I take it your contract says you must be dismissed "for cause," and are not an "at will" employee?
Old 10-25-2005, 07:40 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I take it your contract says you must be dismissed "for cause," and are not an "at will" employee?

[/ QUOTE ]

Yup...I've never been written up formally, but there was a similar meeting about 2 months ago because I left at 5 one day when my supervisor expected me to work late instead - that was cleared up as a communication problem.
Old 10-25-2005, 07:40 PM

I'm not sure but it is my understanding as long as the Severence Package is fair they have no legal reason to keep working for them. I would ask them about it tommorow and call a lawyer friend if you have any to verify. This is important situation. Good luck. If you are interested in Big 4 opportunites let me know, i know a few people....
Old 10-25-2005, 07:43 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I'm not sure but it is my understanding as long as the Severence Package is fair they have no legal reason to keep working for them. I would ask them about it tommorow and call a lawyer friend if you have any to verify. This is important situation. Good luck. If you are interested in Big 4 opportunites let me know, i know a few people....

[/ QUOTE ]

Thanks for the offer...getting a Public Practice job is extremely easy nowadays due to a shortage of CA's and I swore I would never go back to that kind of environment - long hours, demanding partners, etc....Finding another job will not be a problem.
Old 10-25-2005, 07:44 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Thanks for the offer...getting a Public Practice job is extremely easy nowadays due to a shortage of CA's and I swore I would never go back to that kind of environment - long hours, demanding partners, etc....Finding another job will not be a problem.

[/ QUOTE ]

I agree its a frustating job unless you are the partner....
Old 10-25-2005, 07:46 PM

Maybe you'll be promoted, like in Office Space.
Old 10-25-2005, 08:00 PM

Don't sign anything. They might try to pressure you into signing, but stick to your guns. Go talk to a lawyer before signing anything. Usually companies will try to give out as little severance as they feel they can get away with, and you're probably entitled to a lot more than what they'll be offering.
Old 10-25-2005, 08:32 PM

I agree that you should sign anything warily. Often they will try to cajole or coerce you into signing something very quickly, before you've really read and understood it. Don't hesitate to stand up for yourself, in a professional manner, and insist on taking the time necessary to look over whatever it is they want you to sign.

And don't expect some unfairness not to be slotted into things somewhere. It's pretty much standard practice to try to get screwy with employees. As in, you agree to sign if they take a provision out, and then you get a new copy with the provision gone, but something else surreptitiously altered or added in. Oops, why -- however did that happen? <innocent batting of eyelashes> This is very common indeed. Keep on your toes.
Old 10-25-2005, 08:36 PM

I would definitely negotiate.

You should try and research what typical severance packages are for your situation and aim higher.

If you know that you are not going to be working there, walk in there with a big swinging dick and tell them how it's gonna be. What's the worst that can happen? They know a wrongful termination suit will cost them more than paying you off.