Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-21-2005, 04:32 PM

Default High Level College Electives

This year I finally choose a couple of electives that are good, and they are quite good. One is 190A Labor and Globalization, the other is 394E, Healthcare, Politics, Equality. They're both very intersting. Maybe I sound like a geek saying this but it's nice to have other people in the class that care about the material, that are smart and knowledgable on it (most know more than me). Mainly upperclassemen though a few freshmen.

The subject is more specialized too, so we get into some interseting stuff, it is not the standard beginning elective where everything is general bland stuff. Also, the teachers are good, they don't dumb down the material, they go pretty fast and cover a lot of interesting material. I also get the impression that they're easy going, and since most students care about the subject won't grade hard to force people to work, I suspect most people will get good grades.

Not sure what the point is of my post, but I'm happy with these classes. Maybe this is a tip for people going to college, but most people probably know this already.
Old 09-21-2005, 04:36 PM

Default Re: High Level College Electives

What exactly is your major field of study, Bruiser. I thought you were studying music no? Just curious. You seem to have pretty eclectic interests, which is good.
Old 09-21-2005, 05:00 PM

[ QUOTE ]
What exactly is your major field of study, Bruiser. I thought you were studying music no? Just curious. You seem to have pretty eclectic interests, which is good.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah, I'm studying to be a concert pianist... Boy you are gullible Jake. Not sure on the major yet, been talking to my advisor about it lately. Could be history or more likely my own major that is in history, polisci, economics and US foreign policy (something about "US Empire" would be good, this is still an idea in progress), biology, or physics.
Old 09-21-2005, 05:08 PM

Just combine it all and study the Economic and Political history of Physics and Biology. Actually that sounds like it could be a cool graduate level course.
Old 09-21-2005, 05:10 PM

Upper level courses tend to be graded much harder. Everything in your post is true for upper level courses for your major; people will (obviously) know more and maintain a greater interest in the material. Consequently, you need to work harder to stand out from the rest of the group. Anyways, I think you should take an upper level writing class.
Old 09-21-2005, 05:14 PM

Upper-level courses are graded on a different scale. If you get a C, that's terrible and you really have some explaining to do. At least in the UM aerospace program, the grades were pretty much A, A-, and B+ with the occasional A+. Anything below B+ looks really bad.
Old 09-21-2005, 05:31 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Upper-level courses are graded on a different scale. If you get a C, that's terrible and you really have some explaining to do. At least in the UM aerospace program, the grades were pretty much A, A-, and B+ with the occasional A+. Anything below B+ looks really bad.

[/ QUOTE ]

similar in my undergrad experience, but drop everything by 1/2 a grade....A+'s were almost unheard of.
Old 09-21-2005, 05:31 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah, I'm studying to be a concert pianist... Boy you are gullible Jake.

[/ QUOTE ]

hahahah! SNAP, Jake! If only you had something to come back at him with...
Old 09-21-2005, 06:00 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Well, my philosophy courses are curved around a B-. However, seemingly the grades in my English classes are pretty high, so your curve may be accurate for those. I thought the engineering courses at U of M were supposed to be on a pretty tough scale; I guess not.
Old 09-21-2005, 06:23 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Well, my philosophy courses are curved around a B-. However, seemingly the grades in my English classes are pretty high, so your curve may be accurate for those. I thought the engineering courses at U of M were supposed to be on a pretty tough scale; I guess not.

[/ QUOTE ]
Yeah, but they're judged differently. If you get a B, that's interepreted as a D. It doesn't really matter what it's curved around, as long as it's consistent throughout the program. This program's scale happens to be pretty compressed. I only know of two people who got an A+ while I was there. One kid was just a genius and got pretty much straight A+ and the other got like 2 while he was there.