Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Internet Gambling > Internet Gambling
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-16-2005, 11:34 AM

Default Re: Pokerstars: \"Where every game and every tournament is free\" ... ??

[ QUOTE ]
I don't think it's really feasible to sharpen your game at play money tables. You can try to play solid, but when it doesn't really count, it's all too easy to just donk it up with everyone else.

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm not going to argue with you, because I pretty much agree. However, it's dangerously close to saying "I want to play higher limits to play against better players, because that's easier."

You can learn to beat play money games, same as extremely loose games. It just doesn't have much value.
Old 08-16-2005, 02:10 PM

Location: Castle Duckula -- home for many centuries to a dreadful dynasty of vicious vampire ducks: The Counts of Duckula!
Default Re: Pokerstars: \"Where every game and every tournament is free\" ... ??

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
I don't think it's really feasible to sharpen your game at play money tables. You can try to play solid, but when it doesn't really count, it's all too easy to just donk it up with everyone else.

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm not going to argue with you, because I pretty much agree. However, it's dangerously close to saying "I want to play higher limits to play against better players, because that's easier."

You can learn to beat play money games, same as extremely loose games. It just doesn't have much value.

[/ QUOTE ]

Well, my observation was intended to be about discipline. I agree that you can learn to beat play money games (and that it doesn't have much value [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]); what I was trying to say is that when there's no real money involved, it's extremely hard to maintain the discipline necessary to do so. There's not much incentive when you do, and no real pain when you don't.

-Mike
Old 08-16-2005, 02:25 PM

to be fair - Raymer specifically talks about learning the general structure of the game (the blinds, the button, who bets when) in one of the spots.

Pokerstars, Party, Paradise, UB, Full-tilt, Pacific and Absolute all have dot-net ads for 'play-money' sites I believe. And I think they all say 'not a gambling site'. Or something like that.

My assumption was that after you set up your account on the dot-net site they start hitting you with e-mails to try the real-money tables on the dot-com side. Something like that.

and, of course, the obvious fact that many players will type in dot-com anyway just out of habit. It is my opinion that if advertising for the real-money sites is not legal (and this is jsut what the DOJ has decided on their own) then the dot-net ads are equally illegal.
Just like cigarette ads are illegal on TV in the U.S.....so Camel Cigarettes would not be allowed to get away with making a Camel Candy-Cigarette product and splashing their logo all over TV. Camel could argue 'But we aren't really advertising tobacco cigarettes. We specifically say in the ad that this is just a candy product.'
The problem is that the logo is obviously the same so it has the same effect as advertising for their tobacco-products too.
I think there is a very obvious parallel with what the online-sites are trying to do with the dot-net ads.

The only differences here are that the real-money sites' ads have not OFFICIALLY been made illegal. The DOJ just doesn't like them.

Of course, I'm all in favor of the networks suddenly being comfortable airing these dot-net ads. The more advertising that they allow the better.
Hell, they are even allowing the ads on ESPN now.

but I truly believe that these dot-net ads are no more or less illegal than the dot-com ads. It's just that the networks can run them and can then say 'but we thought they were okay' so their arses are more effectively covered.

Something like that anyway.
Old 08-16-2005, 02:29 PM

The commercial was probably for pokerstars.NET. Clever bastads.
Old 08-17-2005, 12:46 AM

I didn't take the time to read all the replies so I apologise if I am repeating. The commercials are for PokerStars.NET. They can no longer advertise the .com site for "real $$" so they promote the .NET site which is play $$. They are creatively skirting the ban on commercials promoting internet gambling. Hope that clears it up.
Old 08-18-2005, 04:04 PM

It looks like Pokerstars is saying to hell with the FCC as I saw Raymer doing an ad last night for Pokerstars.com WCOOP tourneys, clearly promoting the gambling site.