Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > Books and Publications
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-16-2005, 04:10 PM

Default Beyond Tells: Power Poker Psychology - anyone read it?

anyone read this book?
care to offer a review?

Beyond Tells: Power Poker Psychology
by James A. McKenna

cheers,
the Real Macoy

ps.
I have ordered
Poker, Sex, and Dying: Inside the Mind of a Gambler
by Juel E. Anderson

will post a review once received and read
Old 06-17-2005, 07:46 PM

Default Re: Beyond Tells: Power Poker Psychology - anyone read it?

just bought it today so if noone else steps forward i will return when said text is conquered
Old 06-17-2005, 08:27 PM

sweet!
definately post your review.

i have found a few other threads with people asking for reviews of this book; however, the only responses were that people had ordered it/bought it....none had read it yet.

cheers,
the Real Macoy
Old 06-18-2005, 02:20 AM

I purchased the book last week and am about 1/3 into it.

The first five chapters are pretty useless in my opinion. It reads almost like a combination of self help with poker...for example, there are discussions of differences between winning players and losing players such as losing players blame the run of cards for their outcomes whereas winning players always try to make correct plays.

I found the chapters quite dry and seem to have read more like a university paper than a poker book.

I am just getting into the 'tells' section starting in Chpt. 6 (not exactly sure if this is the correct chapter b/c I do not have the book with me). I haven't quite finished it yet but from what I have seen, I do not like the organization of the book. Book seems to ramble off a bunch of different possible tells with out any sense of order.

I am hoping the book will get better as I am only part way through...
Old 06-18-2005, 08:16 PM

i hope for a full report once you are finished.
thanks for the quick preview.

cheers,
the Real Macoy
Old 06-19-2005, 01:02 AM

I saw the book in B&N the other day and was interested so I picked it up and skimmed a bit. The parts I saw greatly resembled Caro's Book of Tells. Without giving it much thought I put it back down, writing it off as just another copycat book.

For anyone who has read more than I have... meaning more than some of the captions on three pictures... does it resemble Caro's book on the tells sections?
Old 06-20-2005, 02:38 PM

Default Would not recommend this book

This book reads like a Dr. Phil book: "you need to give yourself permission to be a winner." WTF? I read about 2/3 of it and got pissed off and returned it, and got a Sesame Street Elmo book and a Thomas the Train book for my son and they were probably more helpful for my game: "a good train needs to adapt to change." Seriously though...don't waste your money. Buy Schoonmaker's book instead.
Rock 27 [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]
Old 06-21-2005, 12:18 AM

Default Re: Would not recommend this book

I picked this book up yesterday in my frustration at not their having HOH 2 at Borders -- 15 bucks, I figured, so it doesn't have to have much to make me feel it's worth it.

First sign of trouble: introduction says no book has ever been written by a psychologist about the psychological aspects of poker. Whaa? So what are Feeney and Schoonmaker, chopped liver? And then at the end of the intro, there's a footnote: "This book and research were completed before the publication of [Dr. Al's book]"!!

Now both 2+2 psychology books were published in 2000, which means that McKenna completed his book over FIVE YEARS AGO! Now, I'm not saying that an older poker book doesn't have value, but his idea that he's doing something completely new and unique is seriously wrong. (And he doesn't mention Feeney at all!) And some of his stuff is supposedly based on research -- five year old (or more) social science research is pretty shaky, even if you're talking about something that has not changed as much as the poker world in the last 5 years.

Also problematic is the implication that he's been shopping this book around for 5 years without being able to get a publisher. A year ago it seems that some publishers were desperate to publish any piece of shite about poker, and this book still is not published until June 2005?

I have a pretty high tolerance for not-excellent poker books -- it doesn't have to be the most perfect thing ever for me to think it's ok, or at least worth the whatever dollars I paid for it. Yes, I'm critical, but I try not slam a book for not being something it's not trying to be. And I've only just begun the book. But I can't think of one positive thing to say about it.

Seriously. For example, the author uses strange, almost-right terms like "call station." Or defines terms strangely: "runner-runner is an expression used for a player with a weak hand chasing hands with poor odds"!! (Leading to the priceless: "beaten by a runner-runner who made a gut-shot straight on the river".) And not only does he quote a dictionary definition (a sure sign of a crappy writer), but he quotes from an odd (World Book) old (1979) dictionary!

And as others have pointed out, the beginning is a lot of psychobabble about "scripts" and "permission" and "response-able" players. Totally useless.

I wish I could return my book -- I spilled Coke on it, dang it -- for a Thomas the Tank Engine book even though I don't have kids! So far, this book wins the booby prize for worst poker book ever.
Old 06-21-2005, 12:45 PM

[ QUOTE ]

Now both 2+2 psychology books were published in 2000, which means that McKenna completed his book over FIVE YEARS AGO... ...And some of his stuff is supposedly based on research -- five year old (or more) social science research is pretty shaky, even if you're talking about something that has not changed as much as the poker world in the last 5 years.

[/ QUOTE ]

Since the 2+2 books were published in 2000, does that mean they're obsolete too?
Old 06-21-2005, 03:42 PM

I was in Border's on my lunch break today and took a look at this book. After about 5 minutes I threw it back on the shelf.
I havent yet read Dr.Al's book, but I plan to. John Feeney's "ITPM" should be required reading for any serious player.