Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Gambling > Psychology

Old 11-16-2005, 06:15 PM

Default Folding SB and BB shows sub par cards?

Ever since I have started playing online I have noticed that if I fold the sb to the bb and let them take the pot they will sometimes show me sub par cards. Just what are they trying to accomplish with this move?

I ask this because it seems to me they are trying to get me to be more aggressive but it doesn't make sense because if I make a move against their blinds or call the rest it is because I like MY cards. Their cards shouldn't even matter unless I am reraised.

Any opinions would be appreciated on this matter.
Old 11-16-2005, 06:36 PM

Default Re: Folding SB and BB shows sub par cards?

Usually, just as a friendly "can-you-believe-that-won" type move...nothing much to it...it's pointless, and completely devoid of reads or tells, but also completely harmless.
Old 11-16-2005, 07:43 PM

I always went the route of saying "Heh, you had me beat anyway." Take the wind out of their sails.
Old 11-17-2005, 05:52 AM

It gives the impression that they are getting crappy cards. This might inspire you to try and steal their blinds if every time you fold to them all they show you is junk.
Old 11-17-2005, 09:13 AM

[ QUOTE ]
It gives the impression that they are getting crappy cards. This might inspire you to try and steal their blinds if every time you fold to them all they show you is junk.

[/ QUOTE ]
Yes, because there is some kind of correlation between the cards you're dealt on one hand and the cards you're dealt on the next hand.
Old 11-17-2005, 02:00 PM

I sometimes do this, but then I'll do it with premium hands too. "AA wins again!" Not intended to influence the SB one way or the other.

If I did want to influence the SB, I would try to determine if he was folding too much or calling too much, then steer him to the extreme one way or the other (call all the time or fold all the time.) If he's calling too much but folding occasionally, I might show a bad hand to try to get him to call all the time. But how often would this strategy be profitable in a full ring game? The only time I would think to do this is in a HU or short-handed, like in a SNG. I don't really think about it, maybe because in live play I'm a chopper. Oh well....something to think about.

ScottieK
Old 11-17-2005, 03:34 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
I think this is what the OP is getting at. It encourages you to steal their blinds, which is the opposite of what they should really want. SB trying to steal your blind, vs just folding and you taking the blinds is obviously -ev.

Personally, I don't think they're going for anything psychological here, it's just a "haha, I won the hand with 39o".
Old 11-17-2005, 03:48 PM

I do it because it's fun, and it's one of the few times you can show your cards and (basically) give up no information whatsoever.
Old 11-19-2005, 12:37 AM

I think showing a monster can be effective because it re-enforces the thought that they just made a good move by folding and might make them more likely to continue that "good" move. I don't see what showing bad cards accomplishes.
Old 11-19-2005, 04:43 PM

It just doesn't get much better than seeing the dealer say:

Player wins with high card 5.