Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Internet Gambling > Internet Gambling

Old 11-15-2005, 03:04 AM

Default Roy Cooke article in Card Player is wrong.

His main point being that internet hold 'em ring games require a 50% larger bankroll than live play.

No tipping and no jackpot drop unless desired should not increase but decrease bankroll requirements.

I've played probably 500,000 hands of online poker from $1-$2 to $5-$10 and have not deviated down more than 150 BB at any point.

I believe that bank roll requirement are much less for online winning players.

He usually has such good advice. I was surprised to see such an inaccurate assesment.

Comments?
Old 11-15-2005, 03:13 AM

Default Re: Roy Cooke article in Card Player is wrong.

It has nothing to do with the rake and tipping and everything to do with the difference in aggression and quality of play at the differing levels.
Old 11-15-2005, 03:15 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I've played probably 500,000 hands of online poker from $1-$2 to $5-$10 and have not deviated down more than 150 BB at any point.

[/ QUOTE ]

damn. you must be the best poker player on earth. geez. i would like to stake you for 20/40. i'll have to sell my car but it will be worth it.

seriously, man. i know some damn talented LHE players and they have ALL swung down 500 bets or more at one point in time. 500k hands? are you sure?
Old 11-15-2005, 03:16 AM

Tipping and jack pot drop have to increase variance. That's just a fact.

Especially at the $1-$2 to $5-10 level.
Old 11-15-2005, 03:23 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

damn. you must be the best poker player on earth. geez. i would like to stake you for 20/40. i'll have to sell my car but it will be worth it.

seriously, man. i know some damn talented LHE players and they have ALL swung down 500 bets or more at one point in time. 500k hands? are you sure?

[/ QUOTE ]

12% VPIP 30% WTSD 3 AF
Old 11-15-2005, 03:28 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Tipping and jack pot drop have to increase variance. That's just a fact.

[/ QUOTE ] Bankroll amount for a given risk is a function of advantage, dispersion and bet amount. So if your advantage is sufficiently less online for any level (and that seems to be general agreement) then original statement makes perfect sense.
Old 11-15-2005, 04:05 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

12% VPIP 30% WTSD 3 AF

[/ QUOTE ]

See that augie? He really is the best poker player on earth. Man, did he show you...
Old 11-15-2005, 04:06 AM

Tipping and varience have nothing to do with each other. All tipping does is increase overhead, so tips might turn a 2 bb/100 winner with an SD of 16 into a 1.5 bb/100 winner with an SD of........sixteen.

Think about it this way...if you decided to tip $100 for every pot you won in a $1/$2 game, you would not have very large swings (it will not all the suddon become possible to win two grand in a night). You would just go broke very quickly as your winrate (after tips) would predict.
Old 11-15-2005, 04:11 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

12% VPIP 30% WTSD 3 AF

[/ QUOTE ]

See that augie? He really is the best poker player on earth. Man, did he show you...

[/ QUOTE ]

Was that intended as a cogent comment?

Those are my stats from my experience. If your intent was to imply that those stats do not imply the variance I mentioned, I would appreciate your input. That was my intent of posting those numbers.

Bottom line, from experience, does anyone else disagree with Cooke's comments?
Old 11-15-2005, 04:13 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

12% VPIP 30% WTSD 3 AF

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I think his point was that he's a tight player, and because of that, he has a lower SD. I think it's very possible for a 12 VPIP to not have any >150 BB swings.