Turn 2 7.41%
River 3 11.11%
Flop 6 22.22%
Pre-flop play 11 40.74%
Voters: 27. You may not vote on this poll

Old 11-09-2005, 10:21 PM

Default Re: 9th Circuit Decision Regarding Children and Sex

[ QUOTE ]
"I believe that fancy "mathematics" is the devil's work. Now, rather than homeschool my kid like most others with my views do, I am going send him your school. And I better not here him talk about learning none of them fancy numbers. When you teach the heathens about math, I want you to pull my kid out of the class and put him somewhere else where he can quietly read the bible."

[/ QUOTE ]

You got it totally wrong. He doesn't want to pull his kid out, he wants to be able to sue in federal court to force the school to teach something else to meet his whims and fancies.
Old 11-09-2005, 11:29 PM

As a bit of an aside, hopefully to spark some conversation on the related topic of sex-education in general...

Is it the absolute worst facet of our children's education today? (both in schools, and in regards to parents) or is drug education worse?

Anyway, on the note of parents losing control of a child's education... it goes deeper than this. The schools become de facto parents/guardians. The whole push toward hands-off parenting is quite frightening to me, really. And I'm not even a parent. I'm a kid.
Old 11-09-2005, 11:30 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Which is why parents should fight back. Big government is like a weed; give it an inch, it'll take up the yard. But that implies you gave it an inch and did little to fight back. Isn't this our responsibility as citizens?

[/ QUOTE ]

most citizens are too stupid to realize the consequences of giving too many inches, just like most citizens aren't smart enough to get a phd in a scientific field. they clearly shouldn't be allowed any control in the advancements of sciences because they lack qualification. similarly, voting should be restricted to examined and licensed citizens. only drivers who prove to be competent through examanation are licensed to drive on public roads, yet any shmoe can, in essence, vote on public policy matters? (not the best example because one is more of right while the other is more of a priveledge, but you get the idea.)
Old 11-09-2005, 11:54 PM

[ QUOTE ]
most citizens are too stupid to realize the consequences of giving too many inches, just like most citizens aren't smart enough to get a phd in a scientific field. they clearly shouldn't be allowed any control in the advancements of sciences because they lack qualification. similarly, voting should be restricted to examined and licensed citizens. only drivers who prove to be competent through examanation are licensed to drive on public roads, yet any shmoe can, in essence, vote on public policy matters?

[/ QUOTE ]

A decent argument favoring representative forms of government.

[ QUOTE ]
similarly, voting should be restricted to examined and licensed citizens.

[/ QUOTE ]

Dumb people shouldn't be able control their destinies. Nor poor. I'm thinking poll taxes coupled with an education qualification...I don't know...maybe college professors?
Old 11-11-2005, 06:48 AM

This actually isn't that controversial. Remember, they're coming from a legal/constitutional perspective (what they're saying is, "there's no law or legal precedent to make this a problem right now") They're job is to interpret the existing law, not to create new ones to suit parents. If the legislature wants to make some inherent rights for parents or prevent schools from eliciting such information, they could do so and the law would become such.