Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > News, Views, and Gossip

Old 11-07-2005, 07:41 PM

Default Re: Crazy bets by pro gamblers

[ QUOTE ]
Any serious runner should be able to run a mile in 4.30 ... the world record is 3.43! And 26 x 4 1/2 = 1h 57m which is under the marathon record.

He'd lose if he offered that bet to anyone who was genuinely an athlete.

[/ QUOTE ]

I'd be willing to take even money that nobody in my graduating class in high school could rip off a 4:30 mile. That includes the track team, cross country team, and our halfback.
Old 11-08-2005, 12:21 AM

[ QUOTE ]
2. betting that John Hennigan couldn't live a month in Des Moines, Iowa.

[/ QUOTE ]

And to think I made it nineteen years in the DMI...

Edit: Wow, you had a slow high school. My high school had at least 4 guys under 4:30 all four years I was there....although maybe we were just fast.
Theodore Roosevelt HS Cross Country, represent.
Old 11-08-2005, 12:30 AM

Another story from Martin de Knijff's tournament diary in the swedish Poker Magazine:

"Talking to Phil Ivey on the phone. I call him "Hustler Phil" and he has a, for him, normal story to tell. Phil was in Arbua and played a round of golf with his friend Joe Cassidy (who also is a very skilled poker player). On the 15th hole Ivey is up $5000. Phil is a good golfer at a hcp of 25 and has 80 yards to the flag. He asks Joe what odds he gives Phil to hit the hole. "100 times" Joe says. "I want serious odds" Phil replies. "Ok I'll give you 150 times" "Nevermind, I'm taking the shot now". In the last second Joe says "I'll give you 200 times". Phil throws $1000 to Joe: "Look at this as a gift, the correct odds should be 2000:1, but I feel lucky today". He takes his shot. The ball bounces ones and then goes straight into the cup. Our call is resumed after three minutes of laughing. He and Barry Greenstein is in Tampa to watch Roy Jones Jr box before going to the US poker championships in Atlantic City. They travel by private jet."
Old 11-08-2005, 04:22 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Any serious runner should be able to run a mile in 4.30 ... the world record is 3.43! And 26 x 4 1/2 = 1h 57m which is under the marathon record.

He'd lose if he offered that bet to anyone who was genuinely an athlete.

[/ QUOTE ]

One of my good friends was a scholarship Div I track and cross country runner. His best mile time was 4:09.

I asked him about this and he said there is no way he could run 4:30 or under miles 26 days in a row.
Old 11-08-2005, 07:42 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
2. betting that John Hennigan couldn't live a month in Des Moines, Iowa.

[/ QUOTE ]

And to think I made it nineteen years in the DMI...

Edit: Wow, you had a slow high school. My high school had at least 4 guys under 4:30 all four years I was there....although maybe we were just fast.
Theodore Roosevelt HS Cross Country, represent.

[/ QUOTE ]

Well, I'm not 100% sure nobody could do it... I stayed far away from all those running sports, since my best mile time ever was about 7 minutes. Easy to see why I stuck with Baseball as my main sport.

I made that comment because I sat there for about 5-10 minutes and tried to come up with anybody in my graduating class that I thought could do it. It's quite possible I'm forgetting to think about any 'track stars' or that I'm underestimating the skill of the good, but not excellent, track runners/Xcountry runners. I just know that I had a few gym classes with some of the 'faster' kids in school, and I don't think I ever witnessed anybody run significantly under 5. And the halfback I spoke of, I just figured he probably couldn't do it, since while he was one of the quickest guys I knew, he also made an effort for the majority of his high school career to bulk up, most likely in an effort to be somewhere near the size required to play college ball (he was TINY at 14-15)

If I had made the post with the intention of actually betting my money on it, I'd be considering retracting it, the more I think about it, but I think the fact that I'd even consider taking it is a testament to how wrong the 'anybody who was an athlete at all should be able to do it' comment is. It may've been misspoken though, the "any serious runner" part is probably right, or at least somewhat close.

I'm sure through my entire high school at any given time, there were at least one or two people who could do it.
Old 11-08-2005, 09:59 PM

I am a decent runner, and I run 400's in 50 seconds going full tilt. 1 minute 400's would be a nice easy pace... of course the question is how many could ya do? I would take this bet, it sounds so simple... im sure id get injured or my muscles would fatigue to the point of atrophy.
Old 11-09-2005, 03:15 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Is it really worth ten grand to the people that made the bet to have hennigan live in Iowa for a month?
Thoughts?

[/ QUOTE ]

My guess is that they thought that Hennigan would be so starved for action after the first week, he'd bow out.
Old 11-09-2005, 09:03 PM

[ QUOTE ]
My guess is that they thought that Hennigan would be so starved for action after the first week, he'd bow out.

[/ QUOTE ]

He did bow out - even before he went there I think. This bet IMHO could only be made pre internet poker. Anyone know if this is true??
Old 11-09-2005, 09:11 PM

Location: duffman is thrusting in the direction of the problem (mets are 9-13, currently on a 1 game winning streak)

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
For 10 grand, I'd live in downtown Baghdad for a month wearing I [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] GW Bush t-shirts everyday.

[/ QUOTE ]

That's because you are poor.
-James

[/ QUOTE ]

LOL <---and I mean it, really laughed out loud. Good one James, prick.

[/ QUOTE ]

[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] avatar
Old 11-09-2005, 09:34 PM

[ QUOTE ]
For 10 grand, I'd live in downtown Baghdad for a month wearing I [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] GW Bush t-shirts everyday.

[/ QUOTE ]
Would someone with the cash take him up on this? Or maybe we can all put in $100? I'd be down, especially if he'd take a camera.