Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > One-table Tournaments
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-19-2005, 03:27 AM

Default HU Strategy. . .

So...right now I'm pretty much only playing the 11's seriously (trying to play 40 a day 4-tabling in sets). I'm doing pretty well so far -- though my sample set is still low. Nonetheless, when I get heads up, I'm pretty much playing a push/fold strategy (unless my opponent just calls the BB and I don't have anything I wanna push him in with). I really haven't varied from this, because on my fairly marginal hands, I want to steal blinds and force my opponent (who is more than likely a bad player) to make the tough calling decisions that determine 1st and 2nd. Thus far it seems to be working well, as I have as many 1st place finishes as I do 2nd and 3rd combined. What I'm wondering is two-fold:

1) Is a more sophisticated HU strategy useful at this limit (or the 22's)?

2) Whose literature is best for learning more sophisticated HU strategy? I just got and am working my way through HOHE Vol. 1. I hear Vol. 2 is supposed to have more information on HU play. Is this the way to go to develop a better strategy for HU play?

Or is this how most of you play HU? Thanks in advance for all replies. I'm learning lots and will keep contributing however I can.
Old 07-19-2005, 03:30 AM

Default Re: HU Strategy. . .

If you've got double the 1sts as you do 2+3, then you're playing really well ITM. It'll be a pretty high variance style, but really profitable. Hopefully it's not double just because you're not getting ITM enough.

What's your 1/2/3 % finishes?

As for basic strategy, that's about right. Blinds are so big heads up that push/fold is pretty much always the best way to play. Sounds like you're doing well though. Keep it up.
Old 07-19-2005, 03:45 AM

[ QUOTE ]

What's your 1/2/3 % finishes?

[/ QUOTE ]

Right now (and again, I am early days...only played ~100 so far) my percentages of total are:
1st - 20.6%
2nd - 11.8%
3rd - 8.8%

...for a total ROI of 41.71. I realize the cards are probably running really good right now, but it seems like a nice start to trying to be a serious SnG'er. Thanks for your input.
Old 07-19-2005, 04:01 AM

Well then you're kickin ass. Probably won't keep it up...but I hope you do.
Old 07-19-2005, 04:06 AM

The only time you really need to ditch the push/fold strategy HU is on the rare times when you get HU with small blinds (basically 100/200 or lower, 150/300 is usually fine as long as you are careful when the stacks are close). Even then you can still run it as long as you adjust, but you are losing some EV in the process since pushing hands like Q9s isn't really a great idea with 15BBs but it is certainly worth playing.
Old 07-19-2005, 04:19 AM

I don't think these times are that rare(especially at the 10/20 level). I've seen quite a few ITM at the 50/100 level and sometimes lower.

But your right-adjusting to a standard raise HU strategy is imperative when this happens. Otherwise the donk may fold ten hands in a row, but he will get one that hurts you with enough chips to do it.
Old 07-19-2005, 04:53 AM

Yeah, good tip guys.

One thing I do hate about push/fold is when I get AA or KK in the SB. I feel like I ought to call to see if opponent will give me some action, but at that point I feel like calling would be just like announcing, "I've got aces." What do you do in situations like that...push and hope for a call? That's what I've done to now, and you know, occasionally it will be the time that villain has KJ or something and calls. Just wondering if limping has any advantages given the typical p/f strategy.
Old 07-19-2005, 04:55 AM

If you're playing push/fold, play push/fold. Push and hope for a call.
Old 07-19-2005, 05:08 AM

Push/Fold is definately the way to go. If you start playing 8-tables or more you will enjoy the simplicity of this strategy.

I just had a 17 heads-up win streak snapped today. :-(
Old 07-19-2005, 05:38 AM

Yeah, I figured...alright guys -- thanks for a helpful thread.