Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > One-table Tournaments
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-18-2005, 12:15 PM

Default is pokerprophecy worth it?

i know pokerprophecy is pretty unreliable, since the stats it gives you are incomplete, to say the least. but i figure it must give you a little bit of an edge. is it worth the money?
Old 06-18-2005, 12:20 PM

Default Re: is pokerprophecy worth it?

I finally gave in and bought a copy the other day after making a tough fold against a guy who turned out to be a jackass.

I play the 109's, though, so all I need to do to get it to pay for itself is to save myself 400 chips at some point. YMMV.
Old 06-18-2005, 12:50 PM

I imagine its only worth it at higher levels. I don't need it to tell me that everyone else at a 10+1 table is a moron. I play 30+3s and I hear there are a lot of grinders at this level, but I'm still not sure if it's worth it. PT + PV and paying attention to the game is more then enough to play at level 3+. I guess it could be of some use right at the begining of a tourney though.
Old 06-18-2005, 12:51 PM

Looking back, would this have helped the situation if you had it at the time?

I'm also thinking of getting this when I get back to SnGs.
Old 06-18-2005, 01:00 PM

if paying 40 dollars for it and then when you go on a cold streak you will get pissed that you "wasted" 40 dollars then dont buy it, i think it does pay for itself in the long run especially at the higher levels, its better at confirming suspicions then anything.
Old 06-18-2005, 01:37 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I finally gave in and bought a copy the other day after making a tough fold against a guy who turned out to be a jackass.

I play the 109's, though, so all I need to do to get it to pay for itself is to save myself 400 chips at some point. YMMV.

[/ QUOTE ]

One dilemma I see, however, is that because prophecy's data isn't also reliable or complete, perhaps it could cost you 400 chips as many times as it saves you 400 chips.

How do you use prophecy, and how do you avoid getting screwed by it? Do you look only for extreme %'s one way or the other with a high volume of SNGs tracked?
Old 06-18-2005, 01:44 PM

Just subtract about 3% from everyone's ITM% and that is usually more or less accurate.
Old 06-18-2005, 01:49 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Just subtract about 3% from everyone's ITM% and that is usually more or less accurate.

[/ QUOTE ]

So it only records the SNGs where everyone wins?
Old 06-18-2005, 02:05 PM

I got 20 bucks-worth of entertainment out of Prophecy-ing my dingrod of a former housemate as he was calling me on the phone to brag about how he was "crushing" peopel at the 11's. ITM around 20% over 40 games. [img]/images/graemlins/blush.gif[/img] I then told him about this great new program called Poker Prophecy. He said he'd look into it and since he hasn't called me back to brag since I'm guessing he looked up his own stats and mione with his free trial searches. [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

The interface is so ugly it gives me a headache, so I can't use the overlay mode. It's fun when you get down to 1 or 2 tables 4-handed to check up on everyone.

SlimP
Old 06-18-2005, 02:40 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I've found it has rarely overstated by ITM by less than 10%.