Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Micro-Limits
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-08-2005, 01:25 PM

Default AK, top pair, example of bad fold

I played this hand well preflop, not so well on the flop and like a total wuss on the turn. It cost me the pot. This is a perfect example of what Ed Miller was talking about in why we aren't crushing the micro-limit games, we fold too much.

FullTiltPoker Game #282877230: Table Camino Eldorado - $2/$4 - Limit Hold'em - 10:33:44 ET - 2005/11/08
Seat 1: Hubster ($398.50)
Seat 2: DirteAA ($101)
Seat 3: gambletank ($100)
Seat 4: LizetteS ($78)
Seat 5: Lindin ($59)
Seat 6: jbert11111 ($64.50)
Seat 7: JLM323 ($78)
Seat 8: LetsPlayCards07 ($55.50)
Seat 9: SteelDog ($26), is sitting out
DirteAA posts the small blind of $1
gambletank posts the big blind of $2
The button is in seat #1
*** HOLE CARDS ***
Dealt to DirteAA [Ah Ks]
LizetteS folds
Lindin folds
SteelDog has returned
jbert11111 raises to $4
JLM323 folds
LetsPlayCards07 folds
Hubster calls $4
DirteAA raises to $6
gambletank raises to $8
jbert11111 calls $4
Hubster calls $4
DirteAA calls $2
*** FLOP *** [9s 6c Kh]
DirteAA bets $2
gambletank raises to $4
jbert11111 calls $4
Hubster calls $4
DirteAA calls $2
*** TURN *** [9s 6c Kh] [2c]
DirteAA checks
gambletank bets $4
jbert11111 raises to $8
Hubster folds
DirteAA folds
gambletank calls $4
*** RIVER *** [9s 6c Kh 2c] [9d]
gambletank checks
jbert11111 bets $4
gambletank calls $4
*** SHOW DOWN ***
jbert11111 shows [Ac 7c] (a pair of Nines)
gambletank shows [Qc Kc] (two pair, Kings and Nines)
gambletank wins the pot ($69) with two pair, Kings and Nines
Old 11-08-2005, 01:54 PM

Default Re: AK, top pair, example of bad fold

Use one of the converters, nobody likes reading through the raw text of the hand history. http://www.zerodivide.cx/converter/
Old 11-08-2005, 02:10 PM

This post is a wreck. Either use a converter or manually type the hand out. Don't include opponents' screen names. Don't include the results. Include any reads you might have. Include the pot size and number of players at the beginning of every street. Stop the HH where you have a question.

As to the play of the hand, without reads I at the very least call down. I'm much more likely to either 3-bet the flop, or call the flop planning to c/r a safe turn card. Folding this turn sucks.
Old 11-08-2005, 02:40 PM

Well, first off, let's just treat the new guy like an idiot, thank you. I tried using the bisonbison converter and it wouldn't accept Full Tilt's hand history format. I had never heard of "converters" before coming to this forum. I just wanted to show an example of a hand played wrong...I thought I made that clear.

I have been reading posts on this forum for a few weeks now and have decided that the players here are much better than the current forum I am on. I am trying to become a better poker player and figured I could learn the "posting etiquette" as I go...didn't know I'd get my head ripped off for not meeting the "standards."

I will try another converter, but, I don't know the first thing about them, so it may still come back weird. Thanks for the help.
Old 11-08-2005, 03:00 PM

You learned pretty much all you need to know about posting hands in this post. It may seem "negative" but the same guys will be helping you with your hand play in future posts when the hand histories are in a better format.
Old 11-08-2005, 03:04 PM

3bet the flop, play it from there.
Old 11-08-2005, 04:21 PM

Ok, I will try this again. I didn't have a read on any player at the table, it was only my second hand. I hope I don't butcher this, never done it before, I am typing it out by hand.

FullTiltPoker $2/$4 - Limit Hold'em 9-handed

Preflop: Hero has A [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] K [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] in sb. UTG folds, UTG+1 folds, <font color="red">UTG+2 raises</font> , 2 folds, Button calls, <font color="red">Hero 3-bets</font> , <font color="red">bb caps</font> , UTG+2 calls, Button calls.

Flop: (16 SB) 9 [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 6 [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] K [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] <font color="blue">(4 players)</font>
<font color="red">Hero bets</font> , <font color="red">bb raises </font> , UTG+2 calls, button calls, Hero calls (Should I have 3-bet?).

Turn: (12BB) 2 [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] <font color="blue">(4 players) </font>
Hero checks, <font color="red">bb bets </font> , <font color="red">UTG+2 raises </font> , button folds, Hero folds.

I should not have folded, I realize that now. The bb showed K [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]Q [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] and UTG+2 showed A [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]7 [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], I posted this hand for that reason, I folded a strong hand in a big pot. Does anyone think that I should have folded here?
Old 11-08-2005, 04:23 PM

I would bet the turn. A flop 3-bet accomplishes nothing since the others hanging around have called 2 cold already. Make them call 2 cold again. We still have a very good chance of having the best hand here.
Old 11-08-2005, 04:26 PM

Posting the results is another gaffe (more serious than the other gaffes actually). It influences people's thinking enough that oldtimers on this site may not post any advice now that you've done this. It's not intended to be flogging a newbie, it's just that all analysis is suspect if the analyst already knew the outcome.

Hope this helps.
Jeff
Old 11-08-2005, 04:27 PM

first of all not three betting the flop makes you look way weaker than you are. You have to three bet and can maybe try finding a fold if the flop gets capped. Even then i am calling down if the board stays safe. I guess folding here isnt terrible against typical micro players but you are forced to make a mistake because you played the hand incorrectly on the earlier streets.