Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Micro-Limits
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-22-2005, 08:48 AM

Default Re: Is 6-max always this swingy?

Link to Wookie's thread?
Old 10-22-2005, 09:10 AM

If you look up "swingy" in the dictionary, you'll find a picture of a 6-max game. Despite having good overall stats and being an overall winner, I very recently had a 106 big bet downswing in 800 HANDS playing Party 0.50/1 6 max. As another poster on this forum once noted, if you're going to play 6 max you're going to have to be prepared to deal with the occasional 200-250 BB downswing without batting an eyelash. You definitely need to be better bankrolled for a 6 max than you do for a full ring (i.e., approx. 500 BB rather than 300). If you're a winning player, though, in the long run you're gonna get it all back, with interest, because you're also going to have incredible WINNING streaks that will be even more profitable than the losing streaks are unprofitable. Good luck.

--Scott
Old 10-22-2005, 11:50 AM

Yeah, I had a 150BB downswing, a number of 50BB ones and a break-even stretch lasting about 10k hands. Other than those, it's not that swingy. I suspect that lower VPIP will generally lead to lower variance, but it's very hard to prove unless we all post our results.
Old 10-22-2005, 12:09 PM

Alright, guys. I think we've made it apparent to OP that there is variance in poker, 6 max or otherwise. Rather than having this get continually bumped with guys comparing downswing sizes, I'm going to lock this. If anyone really has something great to contribute, PM me and I'll consider unlocking it.