Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Pot-, No-Limit Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-09-2005, 01:16 AM

Default Handreading

Villain is 95/15/2.5/18. He has shown that he is using some kind of rational thinking; he equates my raises to mean big cards and will challenge CB's when small cards flop.

Party Poker No-Limit Hold'em, $ BB (6 max, 6 handed) FTR converter on zerodivide.cx

MP ($233.07)
CO ($163.15)
Button ($106.70)
SB ($100.33)
BB ($100.45)
Hero ($122.16)

Preflop: Hero is UTG with A[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], 9[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]. SB posts a blind of $0.50.
[color=#CC3333]Hero raises to $4</font>, MP calls $4, [color=#666666]2 folds</font>, SB (poster) calls $3.50, [color=#666666]1 fold</font>.

Flop: ($13) K[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], Q[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], T[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] [color=#0000FF](3 players)</font>
[color=#CC3333]SB bets $3</font>, [color=#CC3333]Hero raises to $10</font>

Thoughts? He normally bets more, he wants to draw cheaply or has a weak part of the board are my thoughts. I thought about raising more but thought my raise amount was the best way to represent AK/KQ to him.
Old 12-09-2005, 01:24 AM

Default Re: Handreading

I like it, usually when people lead weakly into the pf raiser they aren't big fans of their hands.
Old 12-09-2005, 10:05 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I like it, usually when people lead weakly into the pf raiser they aren't big fans of their hands.

[/ QUOTE ]

I think that if he's not a big fan of his hand you want to shut him down immediately, as your equity isn't that great, since he's sucking up some of your outs. JT is a possibility here. Therefore bet more.

P.S. I'm a newb at this, and I'm replying before reading what the other guys have written, so now I'll go see how wrong I am.

Also, folding isn't so bad... You don't have odds to continue and if I remember correctly there was a caller to your left. It's entirely possible that the board hit that caller.

Edit: Yep, there was a third guy in the hand. Let it go, man! [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img] (but if you're not going to do that, make your raise more like $25.)
Old 12-09-2005, 12:59 PM

[ QUOTE ]

Also, folding isn't so bad... You don't have odds to continue and if I remember correctly there was a caller to your left. It's entirely possible that the board hit that caller.

Edit: Yep, there was a third guy in the hand. Let it go, man! [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img] (but if you're not going to do that, make your raise more like $25.)

[/ QUOTE ]

Folding is my standard play. However, I'm sure now that it is totally weak. At 100NL 6m I'm finding a TON more Shania than people have alluded to. It isn't long before someone realizes I am a nit and take advantage of that. LAG's were typically running me over after an hour at the table because my play was just too predictable. Working on things like this will do alot for my post flop play in both protecting my hands I don't want being played back at and getting some value when I make similar plays when ahead.

(ps, did you see me later comment on villain playing and dumping most flops? That was why I felt safe in betting)
Old 12-09-2005, 02:06 AM

Hate it. Will be extremely surprised if villian folds to that-sized bet.
Old 12-09-2005, 02:16 AM

Merc,

I'm a big fan of raising weak bets in poisition. However, if you're going to make a smallish raise, you're going to get a lot of calls which means you have to bomb the turn too.

Just pot raise the flop, that should help weed them out.

-Fink
Old 12-09-2005, 02:25 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Merc,

I'm a big fan of raising weak bets in poisition. However, if you're going to make a smallish raise, you're going to get a lot of calls which means you have to bomb the turn too.

Just pot raise the flop, that should help weed them out.

-Fink

[/ QUOTE ]

Yep, sound advice. At the time I didn't realize how proportionally small my bet was. I'd been only playing 2 tables rather than 4 because I felt I needed to be more aware of situations like this. I feel like places like this were missed before, and if I'm in tune enough to a player hopefully I'll be able to consitently be able to find the minimum amount that I can bet to induce a fold if my read on his hand is correct (larger than what I made would inarguably be better in most cases). There had been some 2nd level playing on this table as I hinted at in the OP and I guess I'm just happy to have realized that (and squeaked by with the minimum semibluff bet I could make)
Old 12-09-2005, 02:16 AM

Surprise [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]
Old 12-09-2005, 02:44 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Hate it. Will be extremely surprised if villian folds to that-sized bet.

[/ QUOTE ]

I have just been thinking about this alot. I wasn't sure if my bet would be enough in most cases when I originally posted this, which is why I did. I think the ideal amount would have been a $12 raise, since I don't think he planned on putting much more than he bet, but I have to be right less often than a PSB (I think they have the same effect with my read) if he actually was intent on calling.

I'm trying to bridge the gap between "Typically a bet of X will accomplish y result" to "For this player, this bet means x, and by doing y I can manipulate him in the desired way"
Old 12-09-2005, 02:26 AM

You also have MP left to act, who may be biased to call knowing SB will then be getting better odds to call as well, so I like the PSB for this.