Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > Multi-table Tournaments
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-29-2005, 01:25 PM

Default player last to act against allin states his hand, should it be killed?

I played in the $225 NLHE buyin circuit event at Bally's going on during the main event and took 6th, which was cool, especially as my name is listed in pokerpages again.

but interesting thing occurred, and i am not sure on the correct ruling.

We were down to 15 people, i was getting low, as was everybody, so i decided to push no matter what if folded to me (two of the three guys behind me were super tight).
as usual when i say this, i get crap. 32
I pushed allin.
The bb was getting quite good odds, but it would put him in bad shape, so he went into the tank.
I had my ear buds, and to try to act like i wanted a call, i pulled them off after about ten seconds and said "did you call?"
That put him into the tank more saying "wow, he even wants a call"
Said something about his great odds then half mumbles half states:
"Can I really fold Q9 here?"

Right away I'm thinking his hand has to be dead now. But i can't say anything immediately since if i am wrong, he'll know i dont' want a call.
He finally calls, and I ask if he really has Q9 and he does.
I say his hand should be dead for saying what he had.
Dealer disagrees, i get the director over and he rules since there was no more action, it doesn't matter.

I think this ruling was wrong. If he showed his cards, they would be dead. He wasn't stating his cards looking for a reaction, but he could get one, which effects other people's equity, which is why it is illegal.

It worked out fine for me, A5x on the flop, 4 on the turn for the nuts.

He then let out an Fbomb and got a penalty, which was funny.
He got back in and people made two terrible folds on his pushes with few chips, so he took 9th.

So what do y'all think about his hand being killed?
A few people at the table that knew what they were doing agreed they thought it should, but were not positive.

Thanks

SD
Old 11-29-2005, 02:50 PM

Default Re: player last to act against allin states his hand, should it be killed?

Hand is not dead. Player should get 10 minute penalty after the hand is over.

edit: I missed the f bomb so my 10 minute penalty was for telling what his hand was. So I amend it to a 20 minute penalty since that's the rule but I think the f bomb penalties are bull shiit.
Old 11-29-2005, 03:09 PM

Default Re: player last to act against allin states his hand, should it be killed?

interesting.
i agree on the fbomb rule..and felt bad for even asking if his hand was dead.
so told him i'd delay some, which i did.

so if you don't close out all action, that is when your hand is dead for saying what you have?
Old 11-29-2005, 03:24 PM

[ QUOTE ]
interesting.
i agree on the fbomb rule..and felt bad for even asking if his hand was dead.
so told him i'd delay some, which i did.

so if you don't close out all action, that is when your hand is dead for saying what you have?

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm not 100% sure but I don't think your hand is dead when prematurely exposed even when not closing the action.

There is confusion on this rule because about 5 years ago the rule was different. If you exposed your hand, it was dead. I know this because I survived a tourney with a beat hand when my opponent exposed his hand prematurely.
Old 11-29-2005, 03:34 PM

I did a little research. This is from the TDA which is used by most tourneys.

35 Expose A player who exposes his cards during the play may incur a penalty, but will not have his hand killed.

link
Old 11-30-2005, 11:32 AM

if you show your hand, it is dead. i know that says otherwise, but i do know your had is dead if shown..in a tournament.
Old 11-30-2005, 11:47 AM

Default Re: player last to act against allin states his hand, should it be kil

from TDA rule #37:

Verbally disclosing the contents of your hand (i assume the intent is to read 'with action remaining') or advising a player how to play a hand may result in a penalty.
Old 11-30-2005, 11:49 AM

Default Re: player last to act against allin states his hand, should it be kil

He should have gotten a penalty, but not killed the hand. This is a good rule since killing his hand probably has more of a 'third party effect' on the remaining players than giving a penalty does.